Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 106 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

I wonder if alcohol was involved?
    Well ~ I DID find several (aluminium) top caps from ~ McCallums and White Horse Distilleries ~ bottles.. (Report about to be issued ~ )

I assume Whiskey was a preferred drop for Officer's ~ (?)

Paints an image scenario here for sure ~ LOL

Fossick # 478

( Ever had a day when you really felt like you should just stay in Bed ~? )

But again early start ` I actually considered getting up at 04:30 ~ but dozed thru till 05:45 ~ But when I did get up was I was really struggling with Mo Jo~ get and Go ~ But still! )

It was 20 Deg ~ which was hard to believe as the breeze was very cool ~ Away ~ 06:40

( As a warning ~ I go the tap on the shoulder by the MD spirits ~ I decided to not to over take a Lorry loaded with Gas Cylinders doing 75 Kmh ~ he would turn off to the left in around 100 M ~ a Highway patrol car came from the opposite direction ~ @ 07:00 in the morning ~ Phew! No quarter up here ~ over 100 and you're out ~)

Geard up and off ~ I was bemused when first started to sweep the open ground ~ when I found a Coin at '15' on the Equinox ` which normally I would not even dig ~ But it turned into a "Modern Florin" ~ with the platypus emblazoned ~ ( Amazing where one can find "modern" Decimal currency ~ well any coin!

I the started to find misc. relics of WWII period ~tent poles ~ pipe fittings ~ bullet shells and beer bottle frags ~ I even ventured into what appeared to be Virgin rainforest ~ which did not gel for a camp site ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Ignored the beer bottle intact dated 1944~ definitely a tad scared and scratchy after 77 years ~ I think I have enough of them ~ and a octagonal Sauce despite both being well suited for Home brew !

But was then I soon realized that the open ground was hiding a WWII Dump site ~ It had been either dozed over or ploughed over ~ many years before ~ The sheer numbers 303 cases was stunning ~ stunning ~

I spent considerable time shifting through the detritus and only walked away with one item which was revealed later to be the Find of the day ~ two Shell projectile guards ~ shoved together ~

I covered a lot of ground ~including what I thought was end of war period Dump hole covered over ~

( The Army in 1945 copped a lot of criticism for burying perfect good material ~ a site ) ~ but all I achieved was moved a lot of hard stone and gravel with no results ! My hand pick was not cutting the cheese as it were ~

Again I covered a lot of ground and even circumnavigated a (very) large Concrete slab ~ obscured by heavy leaf Litter ~ a lot of misc. Nothingness ~ nothing of importance ~

Broke for Smoko and decided to move on ~ ventured to more bush and hill and slopes ~ "Skull Point" as it ends short of a prominent Hill which Terry and I have always questioned as to a training mound during the war years ~ and this was the closest point to date ~ But I was pretty well knackered and was not up to scaling hills any more today ~

The buckle was a rare item US orientated but not seen a small one like this previously ~

The two alloy tops ~ “White Horse distillers “ (excellent ) and “MacCallum's Whiskey” ~

I spent time and separated the two brass items ~ which I believe are: Shell primer guards ~ ( After all i had nothing much to lose!)

Have to see if I can find that MD Mo Jo~

TRINITY BEACH, Cairns Far North QLD. 1944-10-12. TROOPS OF THE 2/ 5TH FIELD REGIMENT ABOARD THE LANDING SHIP, TANK (LST) 743 DURING THE ALLOCATION OF VEHICLES TO THEIR MARKED POSITIONS ABOARD THE DECK.

1016074307 USS LST-743 closing her bow doors as she retracts off the beach north of Trinity Beach, Queensland, Australia, 2 November 1944.

I cleaned up the best of the Guard ( Fuze) which I found in the Rubbish dump site last week, It has stamping and SS ~ was dead right ~

Because it only coves the Lower part of the actual fuze of my 113 Shells ~ I assumed (correctly) it was to suit a Time delayed fuze ~ aimed at protecting the Time adjust ring/s !

The stamping says 221 1 AF 1/42

A 221 is a 25 Pdr. Time delay fuze ~

Thanks to G Davenport for his extensive assesment ~

Ordnance - Fuze No 221 with timer for a 25 lb artillery round - Victorian Collections

15th Nov 1943 1 A NORMAL 25-POUNDER GUN OF THE 2_5TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT HITCHED TO A JEEP AND READY FOR THE ROAD.

25 Pounder is a pretty big order for a Willys to pull-usually seen towing something like a 37mm A/T gun (2 Pounder equivalent) or a 6 Pounder but it would be easier on a decent road!

25 pdr certainly will over heat my Jeep Willy's engine!

Yes Blokes ~ I thought much the same thing ~

That poor little 40 HP Donk ~ and drive train~ surely would have struggled not to mention the first Hill the came across ~

There are a lot period photos showing the Aust adaptation of the short barrel 25Pdr. towed by the Willeys ~ And including towing the Gun and struggling in boggy ground ~ No wonderr here are are stories of Buried Willeys Jeeps in these parts ~

I do recall they removed some 400 lbs in creating the Aust Short barelled 25Pdr. (?)

Not to mention a Ammo limber as well ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-07-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Something a little Different ~ restoring WWII relics ~ with a Practical Use ~

Making use of WWII period beer and sauce bottles ~

( I find sort of Poignant that the last time these beer bottles were full was at very least 77 years ago and consumed by an Australian Digger ~)

( I usually do a few Period NSW Beer bottles in each batch I do ~ They are certainly far more robust and heavier than modern bottle ~ )

Currently Batching time ~ Cooper’s Lager with Mexican Cevarza yeast ~

Five WWII period NSW Bottles ~ dated on base ~ from 1942 to 1945

PMU Octagonal War period Sauce bottles ~ nice size @ 365 mils

Plus stocks of Grolesch.

The temp in the Bin which I sit in the Sun for 2-3 days ~ free sterilisation from the Sun ! Actually Peaked 80 Deg. today at Midday ~ includes two jars of Pennies in Motor Oil to clean them effectively ~

! Lay down average four to six weeks ~ usually around eguiv of 55* 375

Members of the Maori Battalion. well pleased with their generous Beer ration ~ North Africa .1940

Australian Troops celebrate VE Day 1945 (Wow ration was four bottles in one issue !)

VE Day beer issue to troops, Morotai | The Australian War Memorial

I have missed several reports ~ but I am skipping to today's effort ~ ( I will back report the MIA reports ~ But today was spectacular!)

Fossick #481

Down in the Dumps ~

Tuesday ~ wide spread ~ late start up 06:00 ~ forecast for 35 Deg ~

I had no plan for the day ~ and I was decided pessimistic after recent rains and lack of sites with the grass rebounding

So I decided to start at the recent Rubbish dump ~ Last trip thought only revealed a very sad teaspoon~ But figured ~ give it a go ~ and four "beer bottles"

the buckles started very quickly ~ it was maze of signals ~ A real Wow Moment ~ ( I date this pocket at August 1945 ~ VJ day ~ all over ~ and the Diggers dumping kit and uniforms ~)

So I simply worked through the plot and back and forth repeatedly ~ I even managed several water Bungs ~ Pfft!!!!!!

Rejects including included several separate but same size ~ large Generator filed coil windings' ~ Larger than any I recall as a Sparky ~ I assume they were either Truck ~ Perhaps artillery gun and limber hauler ~ Morris Ford Humber Trucks ~ or even a tank engine generator~ But this camp site did have a lot of Artillery.

By 10:00 there was no breeze and it was getting very warm ~ I broke for Smoko ~ At that moment the first cool breeze sprang up~ A saviour ~

By 11:00 I had pretty well cleaned the current site out ~ and I made a final sweep to claim a (Hat) Rising Sun ~ in it's original black Enamel ~

I then decided to move camp ~ but I had been checking out an area again north of another site ~ So I cruised over there to check out the area ~

It had been definitely cleared and in fact showed signs of very old sawn tree stumps ~ but no signals ~ Being next door to the Primary site I suggest that they may have even cleared tis area but never actually incorporated the slop into the camp site.

At this point I decided I had a Great Morning and rather than press on to detect more areas ~ I should give thanks and call it a day ~leave any other areas for Later On ~

Home around 12:30 ~ shower a cupper ~ Perfect day ~ home with the Goods and far from exhausted ~

[

A 105 mm Shell case cut down and squashed ~!!

Atherton tablelands QLD ~A CHEVROLET CAB 12 FIELD ARTILLERY TRACTOR AND 25 POUNDER GUN OF THE 2 7TH FIELD REGIMENT MOVING ALONG THE NEWLY BUILT CORDUROY SECTION OF THE ROAD NEAR THE CAMP.

Ford Australia CMP Blitz Field Artillery Tractor (FAT)

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Another great report AT P Sweep. You've got my vote for getting out in those big temperatures, and all the bad news I hear about bush fires too. Keep safe and good hunting, currently rain is the issue in these parts!

BC

Yes Our Wet season is slowly building and it rained all night last night ~ So much for aclimate CHange Hysteria at least here ~

That will bring the dreaded heavy grass back ~