Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 114 of 132 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

Its fantastic the stuff you still find after all these years.
    Let me know when you come to Victoria , we live on top of a 1850's gold rush mines & town .
    Cheers Rick

?

Just one daughter born in 1949 that I could see. Keith was an only son.

Stonking dogtag find!! Not only silver, but the guy was awarded the British Empire Medal as well! Amazing.

Yes First ~ The first decorated Service man I have found. I live in Dred of finding a KIA IDT~

Mate down in Brisbane have done so ~ found a IDT that the owner was KIA ~

Highest rank I have found as reported here in was a Captain!

But two of us did another Hunt on Saturday ~ and my casual off-sider ~ DM ~ scored bg time on Silver coins ~

So I tweaked one of my "spare" Modes and set to recommended alternative settings ~ I field tested in the back yard ~ ( we have lived here for 20 years ) and I found this ~

Original Match Box "Jeep" dated 1977 ~ (LOL)

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Thanks for the Offer ~ Rick~ I will hold you to that ~ LOL Louv the idea of Gold and historical towns ~

Fossick #509~ Team Hunt

Well finally a team Hunt with Dwayne.

Planned a 10:00 hr start but I was alive ~ well sort of ~) and kicking around 04:00hr!

So up at 06:00 and paced myself ~ arrived at 09:06 ~ DM stayed with the schedule.

After he arrived, we did a slow plod across the site.

Dug a Hole to Hong Kong for this ~ a very old Heinz Baby Food jar ~ What the ?

Mixed results ~

This piece turned out to be a Failed Kangaroo KG VI penny trench art ring!

I finally broke free with a Ram's head shilling only to find DM had a same with bonus ~ of a sixpence.

Weather was all but perfect with clear skies with some Heavy cloud~

We eventually returned to the Vehicles for Smoko and called it a day~

I was struggling with Brain fade as i had been awake since 04:00 Hr. ~
    And the MD battery had failed to charge properly ~ ( It turned out the cable plug had slipped out of the plug on the Wall~)

But DM did well again on the Silvers. (Obviously a lot to do with his nox 600 set up. )

March 1945 A PORTABLE STAIN WINDOW PAINTED ON WHITE DUCK CANVAS BY CAPTAIN I.M. MCBAIN, ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS, FOR THE PROTESTANT DENOMINATION CHAPEL AT HEADQUARTERS 1 CORPS.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 06-04-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Eighteen Months ago Robert and I did a few runs to Montalbion after we found the fires had once again cleared the area ~

Amongst a host of other bits and pieces I dragged this 25 Pdr. High Explosion (imploded) shell case over hill and dale ~ almost collapsing myself by the time we returned to base.

I finally stuck it into the Molasses mix for a few weeks then removed and scrubbed down!

I then treated with rust preventative and etch primed before spraying with Drab Olive paint, and the inside semi gloss Black ~

Then using a photo reference I copied the details and "stencilling' / 'Talk'.

It was tad awkward using a stencil and spray pack because the surface was very distorted and uneven ~ So I have been touching up by art brush ~

It is Stamped 12/ 1940 on the Base.

But I find that the imperfect lettering actually adds to the appeal and age effect.

This is my first attempt at this ~ and I guess will only get better as I practice the routine.

I have a number of Shell projectiles, which I will work on as well ~

Like it, you're not only a scholar but an artist as well!

Perfect day ~ Weds

Arrived on Site about 10:30 ~

Decided I would tinker and play around with modes and settings ~

The Tones and volumes on the new Park #2 are all over the place and I modified them as Best I could on site ~ But still will need to be further and fully revised. But definite improvement over what have been using ~

I think I walked about 4-5 Km ~ up hill and dale ~ I found silver on the high ground and almost in the water! Most of the webbing buckles were recovered in the mud right on the water line ~

Actually getting to the Quails as they usually startle the Be Jeez out of when I am working grassy areas ~ LOL!

Home around 15:00 Knackered ~

Cargo ratchet WWII vintage ~ Did not intend to bring home !

Found lot of the sling webbing buckles~ and D buckles ~ but did not realise these two are a pair.

All three Coppers are Commonwealth intriguing the latest one is a 1939 ~ I thought the KG V was done by 1938 ~

After I endeavoured to Identify the two attached buckles I dug on Wednesday ~it turns out that the two buckles are associated with Gas masks!

The hook buckle and the D link ~ I have dug many of both but never together as a unit.

(This I never really considered as standard Kit in WWII but hen research says differently.

As some may be aware that the Japanese in fact were experimenting with chemical and bacterial warfare in Northern China / Mongolia, with horrendous results inflicted on the Chinese people.

and even more concerning is the fact there is a history of Chemical weapons use and training locally. I have been warned firsthand by the Aust Defence force personnel about chemical weapons around The Wild rivers regions.)

Five 4.2 inch Australian mortar being prepared to fire mustard agent mortar bombs by unidentified Australian soldiers, possibly at Innisfail.- <80 km> S.E. from my home base.)

As I pressed on I suddenly had a revelation ~ moment! "Hang on ~ I have one of the those front filter mounts!"~ as I spotted the image of the Standard British Gas mask WWII!)

I had only just completed doing a clean up the same morning yesterday ~ ( I dug this piece up around January this year ~ I assumed it was part of a fuel lantern.)

The piece the mask respirator is stamped 1940 H.A.

Additionally we as a team now recall finding a cache of round lens ~ in hindsight these were in fact Gas mask lens~

1943-05-10. RAAF members Aircraftman 1 C. W. Kelly of NSW and Leading Aircraftman N. Marshall of NSW, practise shooting while wearing gas masks.

London Bobby doing point duty with demonstration of Gas mask 1940.

MAP
    ?

Aways nice when you find that missing piece of the puzzle
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)