Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 116 of 132 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Fossick #515

Cold wind / breeze cutting thru~ arrived around 11:45 ~ Pretty over cast and despite a forecast 24 deg~ BS !

Try 17 with a cutting breeze.

Headed off with a plan ~

I soon dug a Black out torch guard in three pieces ~

I chuckle as the “Boys” now like to come over and check out the holes I have dug ~ Maybe it is the freshly turned soil (?) ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The plan after the last visit and the coins silver ~ was to work the dense grass ~below ~ the previously “harvested ‘ and baled grass line. Again hard going but delivered yet again ~
    I mostly focused on the same similar line right around the land fall once again but going really slow and running very Slow~ recovery speed

It was way the back that I came across a hot spot ~ with an assortment of targets but all had to be dug from thick dense peat style water grass. .

BUT LOTS of ^%&^%&* Tent eyelets ~ and even water bungs ~
    ( I HATE eyelets and Water Bungs!)

Eventually home 14:30 ~

A Black out troch cover ~

A 1942 KG VI ~ Penny ~

A KGV Commonwealth sixpence. 1914

A 1943 KG VI thrip ~

A Step counter ????????

Aust flash with pins ~

(Top right ) Aust ‘Dough boy helmet chin strap webbing buckle ~
    Plus standard Webbing sling buckle and carry bag buckle.

Servicemen played Two-up aboard the troop ship 'Cape Alexander' in Lae, New Guinea, in November 1944.

I expect the step counter belonged to one of your new bovine friends!

Funny man ~ LOL

I expect the step counter belonged to one of your new bovine friends

It's challenging detecting in long grass so I'm glad you are winkling out the finds.

Fossick #517

Lean days again with some gems ~

I was not going to even rise to the occasion but talked to my cousin Ian ~ also a keen detectorist ~ and he prompted me to "just keep working ol ground" ~

Then Friday Morning Ms am and broke into a discussion about sites and potential hunts ~ we looked at Google earth maps and that created another plan ~

So yet another late start ~ but hey ~ what the Hell ~

I planned to work the high ground some which merely proved the area had in past been ploughed over and bulldozed ~

I found evidence in near by creeks of said bulldozing ~ A braided cable in excellent condition ~ but too much length buried to recover~ I would have retrieved the braided cable but i was too long and far too buried to claim ~ ???

The proof being that many brass relics are in fact etched badly ~ The Oiler was DEEP ~ and using Filed #1 i was in hammered ground ~

Another slow day ~ saved by the Oiler tube ~

Clean up ~

Marked MA ~ which is Lithgow Armoury ~ SMLE Model MK III ~last issued 1926 ~

I have not opened the tube as yet ~

First Battle of El Alamein An Australian soldier, possibly from 26 Brigade, 9th Division (Australia) with a captured German MG.34 in a machine gun post

General Unit sign board ~ Atherton Tablelands 1944

Miserable forecast ~ showers early and a cutting breeze again ~ early rise ~ and on site around 10:45 ~

And same Winter Biting wind off the Coral sea ~

( Cousin Ian and I were laughing over a phone call about how I have lazy starts ~as we can recall when he last visited we would be up around 06:00 am and on Site by 07:00~

Now retirement ~ it is a whole new ball game ! lazy starts and 4-5 hours hunts are the Norm~

( I was some what motivated by a walk about DM put in yesterday ~get this using ~a Leaf Blower!!! ??~

And his news of a potential new site ~ got my Mojo and my Juices up and running ~

PLUS I have applied another new set up via US Video~ variation ~ for Silvers and Relics. )

Usual routine ~ the parking lot is done ~ nothing but rusty nails ~

I simply worked over the usual routine and face of the hill and over the other side.

This time I worked the Grassy knoll which I believe was the epicentre of the camp pretty hard and that paid off some with coins ~ webbing buckle and misc. ~

Military Tent pole structure tube

I pretty much dug anything even ferrous signals over 10-12 ~ But Luving this new Pattern in Field 2 ~

A general Clean up ~ if it is is not there then it has not cleaned to standard as yet !

Guess the Digger had to put up with brisk Cutting winds back then too ~

SYRIA. 1942-03-09.
    MUFFLED AGAINST A BLEAK WIND A 25-POUNDER GUN CREW OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT AWAITS ORDERS FROM SERGEANT G.H. GWYNNE.

Churchill IV tank sliding on a rock face at the end of Course no. 1 during field tests conducted at HQ 4 Armoured Brigade, to ascertain the best practical tank for Jungle warfare operations. The Matilda was the eventual winner.

I decided that it has been a week since I swung the coil~ and I figured a break from pouring over books and research on the Net for new sites was in order.

So I geared up and headed off in my usual late mode around 11”45. Been extensive rain again and the ground is pretty wet under foot in some places ~

It has barely stopped raining since November ~

Early find ~ another Fork and one of those large steel 4” * 1/4” steel rings

And this clamp with a large brass wing nut ~ Understand why it sent mixed signals ~

Dead calm at first but a slight breeze came up as the big hand swept past midday ~

So worked down the hill into the area which is deemed Public access ~ almost like once the border line between the sold section, the relics ~ if ferrous, are immediately forth coming.

Bet your Boots this rang up nice ~ all copper cable ~ The site had a radio communications unit/s in residence and a lot of electrical stuff has surfaced over the years ~

(The this point he camera died ~ and despite occasionally working I will off to claim for anew once insurance tomorrow ~ five year warranty~ This will be about Number five I think ~ M gets irate as I bought her a pocket Nikon years ago and hers is still going strong ~ BUT as I said How many photos do you take ~ really!? I take heaps and do video as well ~

I keep them in a pouch in a soft bag and they still die ~ )

NX39615 CORPORAL J.E. SCOBLE OF "A" AUSTRALIAN CORPS OF SIGNALS, AT A RECEIVER AT THE MAIN WIRELESS STATION, KEYING THE TRANSMITTER BY REMOTE CONTROL.

THE 133RD HEAVY WIRELESS DETACHMENT HEADQUARTERS, "A" AUSTRALIAN CORPS OF SIGNALS WITH THEIR TWO JEEP TRAILERS LOADED WITH SUFFICIENT EQUIPMENT FOR THEM TO OPERATE FOR 36 HOURS

The Axe head is a very Old edition ~

The Coins were all n the same Hole

The Belt Buckle is Nickle or zinc coated and I know that Australian webbing was never but black painted Brass. So some research revealed this to be a US Army Garrison Buckle ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-23-2020 at 08:07 AM.

?

The clamp is either for a folding field-service table or a folding field-mess bench. Two diagonal strut-ends are pinned under the wavy bracket to brace the legs.

Love ya work Sweep.

Show us a display of all your military stamped knife-fork-spoons one day. I have a bit of a collection of those.

Show us a display of all your military stamped knife-fork-spoons one day. I have a bit of a collection of those.
    Agreed I will look into that proposal~

Thanks for your Thumbs up mate ~ Some days when the finds are a bit tatty or lean I hesitate about even posting ~

The Churchill tank was scheduled to replace Mathilda II after Borneo-next major operation planned was the Commonwealth Corps (one British, one Australian and one Canadian division) taking part in 'Olympic', the invasion of Japan in 1946. The old Mathilda was long out of use in the main game in Europe and its advantages of relatively small size, fairly heavy armour and familiarity were now well outweighed by its limited armament and Churchill's much heavier armour, roomier hull and greater armament and adaptability to different uses-major points for the invasion of Nippon itself! The end of the war in August halted all plans and the reduction in armed forces meant no Churchills were bought and a motley collection of obsolete models remained in limited use until Centurion was purchased in the late 1950s.