Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Default Re: Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

The cocking piece looks like a terminal nut from a blasting box but not 100 percent on that one. Keep the finds coming in!
    Hangerman

Thanks for your feedback ~
    The knurled nut which I ASSUMED was a 'cocking knob' is in fact very heavy for its size ~ so I do wonder about its purpose ~ coupled with the slot, and pinned castlelated/ lock nut, 'may' suggest a more intriguing purpose ~

After all as an extension to my theory of ; "Careful what you wish for !" and our recent discussions regarding Bren guns ~ I figure we have some way to go before a Bren gun apears even if it piece by piece ~

We won't even talk about a Stuart Tank then eh !?

Day 3 on the trot ~

Went back to the new Bush site ~ I did some bush sweeping ~ Paul did a recce along the roadside ~

I found northing but a horse shoe and 6 fired 303 shells ~

Paul found an even bigger trash dump ~ and several demolished building sites ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

We had a final look at the Mills bomb and decided it IS intact despite the bottom cap being missing ~ so end of issue ~ I will phone the Military ~

Paul left the scene ~ I forged on and then hit this ~

I mean I really was spooked~ maybe after realising the Grenade is still armed ~

I almost buried it and marked the GPS ~

But scraped it with a stick ~

The second piece is still buried to the right

Turned out to be a Bloody water drum bung with a chain link catch ~ !!

So final count ~ very small day short of working know dump piles ~

Interesting.. that end cap and the opposite joint piece looks very much like something went very wrong with this shot ~

Any tips on what the end is actually from ? The base piece obviously has a protrusion which was wired to the centre pole and the slots add security to the configuration ~ But as I see it some thing went wrong by the shrapnel shredding.

The three nut like pieces are in fact lead roofing screw from the demolished building sites ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 03:11 AM.

An update on my razor and my buckle collections ~ And there are several missing including the second matching Lee Enfield shoulder strap

And the U buckles at the top are ' clasp Knife/s ' hooks ~ Thanks to Hangarman ~

Take note of the lower photos.. the third down is a classic ~

Reenactor Guide Part 2a

Still trying to Identify the knurled bolt ~ I still think it is associated with a SMG or SMAR ! (??)
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Just doing some research and the Thompson SMG looks the closest to date and the AIF did have the Thompson until the Own appeared ~
    Not a 1928 or M1 Thompson.

Ooopps ~

Took the cap that momentarily scared the All-be-jez out of me, to work and let the fitters and company have a look ~

The general concenus is the closest this thing, has been to a Soldier or military may have been the Battalion Water filtration unit as this is a water tank cap !!

What a let down !! LOL Almost Scared off by a water tank ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    .......as this is a water tank cap !!

What a let down !! LOL Almost Scared off by a water tank ~
    It happens to the best of us. A few years back I was positive I had found a Browning water cooled MG until I uncovered all of the water jacket......turned out to be a drainpipe, and the thing I thought was the front site was the remains of the wall bracket

It happens to the best of us.
    LOL

Cheers Steve

Does this mean ~ " We do not walk alone ! " (to coin a phrase asit were ! )

Went to the latest site `

I walked about 5 kilometers today ~ actually turned hot as Hell and I dumped the headphones.. thankfully there were regular light showers to cool things down ~

Worked a large area and a tad disappointing ~ covered some three different areas of the latest site ~

What was concerning was this find and I do question whether in fact area was a camp site as this is not the first piece of shrapnel I have found ~

We do know the south side was a fire zone ~ but this casts serious doubt over the north side being a place of residence !

But ~ this I found in the same Sq M as the water pipe "bomb" plus the 9mm rounds . There were more but I left them ~

Any clues ~ well a few of these items above in fact ~

* Turns out the union is stove connection and the second pice is in fact a component of an imploded hand grenade ~

And BTW the Army has already been in to pick up the Mills Type 36 ~

A frustrated fossicker ~ "Where are the badges ~ The coins ~ !!??"

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 03:25 AM.

I had a feed back on Photo Bucket which suggested the brass piece is in fact a piece off a field kitchen burner which fits totally as I did remove a short section of rusted ferrous metal tubing when I dug it ~

I have asked on my blog but does any one have clues on this WWII item ?

It is solid brass ~ even the castelated nut and it is quite heavy which does tend suggest it is a tad heavy for a light weight SMG.?

I even resorted to contacting IMA USA , which is the biggest arms and museum gear in the USA ~

They also run a reality show in Cable/ Fox ~ Cranmar and Sons and they replied very promptly ~

Dear Stuart
    Lookin at that picture, it would be nearly impossible to identify that item.

It does not look to be any kind of verifiable MG part, and a cocking handle for most guns would be far more prominent.

It definitely does not appear to be from a Bren, Thompson, or any other WW2 machine gun used by the Allied forces that we are familiar with.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM, IMA-USA.COM- Sales <customerservice(at)ima-usa.com>
    (Measurements in Metric / centimetres)

( Foot note ~ Febr 2018 ~ Still positively unidentified ~ more likely part of a sighting mechanism IMO !)
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 02-17-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast