Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B 17 parts to identify

Article about: The az. interior crank handle casing does indeed have "AZIMUTH HAND CONTROL LEFT <----> RIGHT" cast into it. The az. interior clutch casing is a bit further forward (at the o

Default B 17 parts to identify

Hello boys!
    I give up....After days on the net,impossible to identify one of the aero part of this B17(confirmed,history and fate well knowned),crashed in Belgium,and digged out by a friend..It's the gauge part with "Azi" written..
    So,it's in your hands now...Can you help us??
    One thing for sure,this is not located on the pilots panel.
    I first thought for a part of one of the gunsight from the 50 cal,but ,obviously,i was wrong.Radio equipement may be?
    Thank you Gentlemen!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B 17 parts to identify  

Default Re: B 17 parts to identify

I am guessing that the "azi" means Azimuth, so that would suggest it is part of a navigation instrument.

Cheers, Ade.

Indeed Ade!I promise you that even a frog had guessed it,hi,hi,hi....
    But the remaining question is:where does it comes from?It's not on the dashboard for sure...

Hi Seb, I don't know either....

Have a good Easter!

cheers, Ade.

You too!Like all frogs,i'm a chocolate addict,so this will be my day!

?

The Bendix and Adel marked pieces are both parts of insulated pipe clips / holders used in many places and could be common to any US made aircraft of the period - The plate should give more of a clue, though I don't recognise it immediately - bomb sight?

Thanks Nick!
    I think that the Norden sight could be a good idea,even if i cannot see a thing similar on the close shots of the Norden..

?

Possibly from one or other of the power turrets.
    The ball turret certainly has an external azimuth gear clutch lever which the plate would suit (the inside lever has the in-out cast into it's housing), I'm not sure about the upper turret.

All the best,
    PB

Thank you so much Paul!As this bomber belly landed(without the crews that bailed out before!!),it's a good idea!May be as you think,a part of the Sperry ball one..

?

Sperry turret was certainly one of my first thoughts, but could not see see anything quite like this plate on the manual control or the position indicator dial - I thought the manual control casing has "Right" to "Left" cast into it? Not looked for top turret controls - though I have a control handle set in the workshop somewhere. That left me with the Bomb sight / Autopilot set up, but cannot match this plate - think we really need a real B-17 to crawl over!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast