Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Battle of Kapyong Bayonet

Article about: This is a MkII bayonet for a Lee-enfield rifle. I found this in what was called the "Battle for Kapyong" in South Korea in April 22-25, 1951. Actually, this is only the second, and

Default Battle of Kapyong Bayonet

This is a MkII bayonet for a Lee-enfield rifle.
    I found this in what was called the "Battle for Kapyong" in South Korea
    in April 22-25, 1951.

Actually, this is only the second, and I hope, successful time to upload pictures
    so this is a test to see if it works! Fingers crossed...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Kapyong Bayonet  

?

Default Re: Battle of Kapyong Bayonet

Interesting find,a friend of mine ( now deceased ) won the Military Medal in that battle. You can look it up on Google, Ken Barwise,PPCLI.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Here's a few more from my first trip out to Kapyong.
    First find was a 50 cal. slug lodged in an ancient tree. That was neat.
    Then later on an opposite hill found a .30-.06 bullet lodged in a piece of wood.
    Finally, one I could take home!
    Also found my first 303 clip from the Aussie lines, a battle damaged tin cup
    from in front of B Co. 2 PPCLI.
    Another interesting find was an old bottle of Tobasco sauce when it was frist
    included in meals prior to MREs. A bit of 60 year old sauce still remains.
    And one of the added bonuses is the rare find of an old coin. It's always a thrill
    to find one'a those.
    Finally, one of the many monuments. This one built in honor of 2 PPCLI.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Kapyong Bayonet   Battle of Kapyong Bayonet  

Battle of Kapyong Bayonet   Battle of Kapyong Bayonet  

Wow! fantastic relics! thanks for spending the time to share them. this is a new part of history for me

John

Thanks for that heads-up, Z. I did look him up and it was bittersweet.
    It was regretable that his family had a tough time getting financial help for his burial. But I guess
    it got resolved which I was glad to read.
    The sweet, it provided a rare first-hand account of what happened there. Not only that, but I'm fairly
    certain I know that machine-gun position that Ken retook and it's still there though barely recognizable.

It's the actual events and stories, not so much the relics, that movitates me to go out to these sites
    and when they come alive it's awe-inspiring. It's the stories of such heroism and sacrifice
    that needs to survive more so than the relics!

Stories We Remember - RCA Stories

Glad you liked it John. With 60 year anniversaries coming up, I want to share my finds.

And, there's plenty more to share!

?

Thanks for the posting. My father and his brother fought in this battle with the 213th FA it was a National Gaurd unit from Utah.

Here's a few more...

The first picture is of a few items found on the Canadian ridgeline between D, C, and A Co.s with a mix of U.S., Canandian and Chinese relics.

The second picture is from objects found on a seperate ridgeline between D and B Co.s including that Mills Bomb.
    That's the ninth grenade I've found but it's the first fully intact grenade and because of a special lacquer covering it to keep it waterproof it's still pretty much
    fully functional to my belief. I felt like I was playing that "Operation" game by Milton Bradly.

Funny thing, as I first got the signal and uncovering it by hand, I found the ring and thinking that was all, I began to pull at it. As soon as I reallized it was actually attached to something, I froze and knew what I had found. Ok...maybe NOT so funny!

Be safe guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Kapyong Bayonet   Battle of Kapyong Bayonet