Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Battle of Seelow Heights - Remains of German Soldiers Recovered 69 Years On.

Article about: Hi Guys, just seen this article in the Daily Mail regarding the recovery of soldiers remains from the Battle of Seelow Heights, a vital crossing point on the Oder and Niesse rivers leading t

dtk06
    ?

Quote by Alexander View Post
    I was somewhat disappointed to read the Daily Mail issue on Friday making references to 'Nazi' soldiers again. I somehow doubt that these soldiers were NSDAP party members and I for one am fed up with this shorthand, ignorant and lazy term to denote anything to do with 20th century German history.

Attachment 748858
    I ran into this same short-sighted thinking when trying to explain the difference between a Nazi and say a simple foot soldier in the Wehrmact to a friend of mine.

This headline was created to sell papers, not to inform or educate...The viewer is bombarded with powerful negative imagery in the form of skeletal remains and the familiar German helmet, along with the words Hitler and Nazis boldly printed beside them...They do their readers a great disservice, when the Truth would have been far more interesting...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    This headline was created to sell papers, not to inform or educate...
    It may also just be a relection of the age or education level of the writer.

To many people over here, anything related to the German military is Nazi.
    99% 0f my collection is From ww1 or before but while sitting at my
    sister's house for Thank's Giving dinner, my sister asks in front of everyone
    if I'm still collectiing those "Nazi things"

She just has no clue.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

You are correct about the term "Nazi" I don't know how many vets I knew growing up that referred to killing Nazi's to them that was what they were and you would have a hard time conviencing them otherwise my own dad often talked of "Shooting Nazi's" in the triangle referring to the Saar Mossle triangle where he was with the 94th Div. he once told me who the hell do you think they (Wermacht soliders) were fighting for he even admitted capturing young boys and old men forced to fight but still his views remained the same I guess you would have to have been in their shoes to understand and lived those times. I have no problem with the statement about the common solider just some of my life;s experience growing up in a generation that' fathers and uncles fought in WW2. timothy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3