Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Battledamaged beautiful finds

Article about: They obviously never knew what hit 'em. But it is sobering to realize that indiviuals died wearing those lids... heads turned to strawberry jam.

?

Default Re: Battledamaged beautiful finds

Thanks Alan , even a rough area of where from might help ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

interesting photos......

?

Here's one my most favourite pieces in my collection- a non-fatally battle-damaged Fallschirmjäger helmet shell from the Ukraine (saved from use by a farmer as a water bowl for his chickens ). Obviously the small hole and cracking at the crown are just age, but otherwise it's in quite good shape, especially for it's post-war use

During its service time, however, it had a few problems- namely some nasty Soviet shell splinters that doubtless left its wearer, assuming, hopefully, the rest of him was otherwise protected at the time, very happy with it. None of the splinters penetrated, and amazingly each of the three dents was caused by an impact from a different direction.

The largest one is in the very front, the splinter seeming to be of roughly 15mm by 5 or 6mm, judging by the shape of the dent's centre- but it had a good deal of energy since the dent is sizable. Now beause of its size, this one could possible not be a splinter hit, but a result of the helmet striking somthing hard- I couldn't say for sure either way I think.

Moving clockwise, the second dent is on the wearer's right at about 2 o'clock, and is an oblique hit leaving a slightly elongated dent; this one's smaller and at such an angle, it has to be the result of somthing hitting the helmet as opposed to drop damage.

The third hit came from the rear, another smaller splinter impacting just above the right suspension system bolt hole- this one left a good mark in the centre, showing it to have been around 8mm x 5mm- or at least the bit that hit the helmet was that size (a projection on a larger spliter, for example).

So even if only two are actual hits, they're the result of two different shells impacting all around this poor guy...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battledamaged beautiful finds   Battledamaged beautiful finds  

Battledamaged beautiful finds   Battledamaged beautiful finds  

Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Matt, That is a great helmet! and I wouldn't want to have been the one wearing it either.

?

Beautiful finds!!! At my terrains thats finds aren't exist
    Cheers, Luka

Hello,
    this is Soviet helmet SSh36 from brustwer....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battledamaged beautiful finds   Battledamaged beautiful finds  

Arktis ist Nicht!

Thanks for sharing your trophy...Do you think the guy lived?

Not sure
    Arktis ist Nicht!

Hi guys. I suggest you view this helmet. This helmet was found in Stalingrad, in the summer of 2004.

During the battle, this helmet was lying on the surface of the battlefield and so the helmet has damaged.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast