Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Battlefield archaeology conference

Article about: Hi Rob, "Two men in a trench" is the series who's name eluded you. I enjoyed it, bar the gaffs! With Tony Pollard and Neil Oliver. Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Battlefield archaeology conference

Anyone fancy going could make a day of it!

Battlefield Archaeology Conference: key.Aero, Airshows

Hope that link works !

?

Default Re: Battlefield archaeology conference

A day listening to Andy Robertshaw would be one of my nightmares !!
    Last edited by Paul D; 02-07-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

So, not a fan then Paul?

?

Not at all mate , for a number of reasons !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    A date listening to Andy Robertshaw would be one of my nightmares !!
    I have to agree 100%.

Rob

I have worked with Dave K a few times many years back and on one site I noticed the archaeology in an evaluation trench as it was being backfilled and when asked he just shrugged his shoulders and carried on filling it in, without doing anything about it. I had been on a different part of the site and had not had chance to see it before then. A shame as he is a nice guy and prior to that he had been totally professional on site.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

What's wrong with them? They are just unprofessional?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    What's wrong with them? They are just unprofessional?
    I've never met any of them, I'm just unimpressed by Robertshaw's TV appearances. Every episode of "Finding the Fallen" has some ridiculous 'schoolboy' mistake by him, despite him being the on-site 'expert'. I see that and have to wonder what the rest of this work is like. I am a trained/qualified archaeologist (although i don't work as one), and the one thing that really gets me annoyed is the way they all make the most enormous unproven assumptions, which you just can't do in archaeology. The episode with the 'Made in England' watch was the worst example (absolutely embarrasing amateurish crap), but most of the shows have an example.

He used to be on another show, with two Scottish archaeologist fellows (if i remember correctly), and he was just the same on that show, mistakes and gaffs about things I knew about, which leaves me questioning the 'facts' that I don't know the answer to.

Rob

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I've never met any of them, I'm just unimpressed by Robertshaw's TV appearances. Every episode of "Finding the Fallen" has some ridiculous 'schoolboy' mistake by him, despite him being the on-site 'expert'. I see that and have to wonder what the rest of this work is like. I am a trained/qualified archaeologist (although i don't work as one), and the one thing that really gets me annoyed is the way they all make the most enormous unproven assumptions, which you just can't do in archaeology. The episode with the 'Made in England' watch was the worst example (absolutely embarrasing amateurish crap), but most of the shows have an example.

He used to be on another show, with two Scottish archaeologist fellows (if i remember correctly), and he was just the same on that show, mistakes and gaffs about things I knew about, which leaves me questioning the 'facts' that I don't know the answer to.

Rob
    That sums it up pretty well Rob !! He won't let History or Historical fact get in the way of him being a TV Star !!

1st July 1916

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post

Rob
    I am actually majoring in anthropology and I think I remember one of my archaeology teachers using Robertshaw for his 'what NOT to do' examples. Are you sure that his mistakes aren't just there to sensationalize the program?

It's unfortunate that they let people like that work in the field, but they won't let the most meticulous of archaeologists work on the most important projects. I am disappointed in the effects that a name an reputation can have in the world of anthropology.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast