Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Article about: Nice story! I spotted some Belgian, Dutch, German and French coins in the hoard. The hoard couldn't have been burried for a very long time as some of the coins are war time coins like the Du

Default Re: A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!

Nice story! I spotted some Belgian, Dutch, German and French coins in the hoard. The hoard couldn't have been burried for a very long time as some of the coins are war time coins like the Dutch coins made from zinc. They made coins of unusual metals in the war like zinc because of the shortage of copper due to the ammunition factories.

I see coins there from at least 7 different countries, not including the Roman coinage.

It is not unusual to see all these types together in collections, even today.
    They all appear to be WWI, 1920's, 30's and WWII dated..........

I imagine these coins could have been in the school
    to be used as a teaching aid.
    Regards,

Steve.

"As they were digging they hit something..an old leather satchel that was falling to pieces. When the artillery stopped they pulled it out to have a look. The satchel was full of all kinds of coins. Someones stash!"

The only thing I wanted to say was that it is unbeliveble that there were only 1-4 year old modern German zinc coins in "old leather satchel that was falling to pieces". So I think that older coins are maybe from this coin treasure but the modern ones are for sure just war souvenirs. As You also asked about prices it is good to check ebay coin section. I'm not an expert of such coins but I think they have more value as a gift from Your passed away dad.

?

Thanks for the comments guys. Somebody put them under the school...teacher? Who knows how long they were there.. a week ..a year..three? Ive always wondered if it was somebodies stash to escape German troops or even the advancing allied soldiers?? Im not sure exacly where he was at. Entered europe at Normandy D+ and then advanced with the 102nd Div. Sometimes I wonder if the owner came back looking for them because they obviously thought "no one will find them here!" And when they looked.... :-O

?

Oh, and I dont believe I would ever sell them.. One day they will be passed to my son along with the the rest of my collection..as they were passed to me. I have a pretty good sized german collection of WW2 german militaria. Most of it was brought back by my dad. He sent and hauled back a lot of stuff of which I understand was laying all over the place back then. Lots of photos too. I was too young when he passed to hear the stories...but my older brothers know a few...the pics themselves tell some! Cheers, Edwin

?

I think there is some coins which was added to the collection later, and they was mix up
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

If you want to post pictures of the front and back of your Roman coins, I'll try to
    identify them for you. It would help if you include a ruler in each shot for scale.

?

Thanks for the input Dimas. That very well could be the case.

Will do Uncle Paul, Maybe I can learn something...I will get them on soon. Thanks!

Regards, Edwin

?

Ok heres the front...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A battlefield treasue dug duing the battle 1944!!!  

Edwin nice find by your Dad and nice story to just check the English penny date's 1933 is the year i think is worth a fortune if my memory serv's me right,
    cheers Ronnie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast