Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 94 of 154 FirstFirst ... 44 84 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 104 144 ... LastLast

Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

Article about: Next mirror for REAL gentlemans.....with condom

?

Default Re: Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

great thread, just spent the last 2 hrs looking through everything. great job to all of you. I am very suprrised to see some of the items in those conditions... just unbelievable.

Is that the normal way for soldiers to be buried in Russia? It seems Western nations have a more elaborate ceremony.

Also, cut these guys a break, they clearly don't know english that well and you can forgive them for not answering. Most of the time they seem to be using translators which we know do not convey messages well. I for one am happy they are even bothering to post here.

?

THANK YOU!!! Amazing thread!!

To ott351
    "Is that the normal way for soldiers to be buried in Russia?"-

I will ask you to comment on this mad phrase seriously for all
    Arktis ist Nicht!

I fully agree with Maxim!
    What is wrong with the cermony of the northern Tundra????
    And why even coment the level of peoples writing here at this forum??????? :-#

?

Quote by ott351 View Post
    great thread, just spent the last 2 hrs looking through everything. great job to all of you. I am very suprrised to see some of the items in those conditions... just unbelievable.

Is that the normal way for soldiers to be buried in Russia? It seems Western nations have a more elaborate ceremony.

Also, cut these guys a break, they clearly don't know english that well and you can forgive them for not answering. Most of the time they seem to be using translators which we know do not convey messages well. I for one am happy they are even bothering to post here.
    THe Ceremony for the re burying the fallen is equally as respectful and emotional as any done in the west !! That said all nations have their own traditions so i'm not really sure what your point is !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

this is directed at ott351>>>

When was the last time you were at a burial for fallen WW2 soldiers?????? probably Never!!! dumb comment seriously...

?

You're right, I haven't been. We don't get many in Toronto, mainly the Highway of Heroes. But I noticed that in the coffins there were often more than one skull and I would have thought that even though identification was not available, there would at least be more placement such as placing the skulls near the top of the coffin, or separate coffins, etc.

Urwald, I was not commenting on your level of writing, please take no offense, I just meant this was not your native language and I was appreciative of your contributions as well as Maxims.

Lastly I would like to underline that I did not mean disrespect to the ceremonies at all, though I may have written that sentence poorly. It was approximately 4am here and I had spent the last 2-3 hours reading through your incredible work. Please forgive me. I merely meant to point out the differences between cultures, and not offend any.

Ott351 - A very commendable and respectful reply. Many thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. I did, like everyone else that has replied, initially take your comments in the wrong light but your post has cleared this up.

I suggest we move on gentleman and let the post get back on track.

Steve T

Hi Maxim

Have you ever heard about this soldier: Viljo Valter Suokas (1920–1943) long range patrol leader and Knight of the Mannerheim Cross #44.

When Winter War begun in 1939, Viljo was civil guard boy with no actual military training and first served in homefront sentry duties. He soon volunteered to the front and after short training was put as rifleman to JR 34 (Infantry Regiment) and was later moved to Sissiosasto 12 (Guerilla detachment). He fought in battles of Ladoga Karelia, including the Battle of Kollaa. After Winter War he had to do his conscript military service which lasted for a year and included training for long range patrols.

In Continuation War he served as patrol leader in OsKu (Detachment Kuismanen) until 1943 when he was put to officer course and then moved to ErP 4 (Seperate Battalion 4) as 2nd lieutenant. During the war Suokas gained lots of reputation as very capable and skillful guerilla leader. He was credited for many successful reconnaissance and sabotage missions, killing high ranking enemy officers, capturing important prisoners and files with valuable information.

On October 4, 1943, Lt. Suokas was mortally wounded while clearing a storage building of enemy logistics center at Segezha, a town by the Murmansk railway.

His final resting place is possibly 63 22 59.03 N, 34 11 30.68 E near little lake ,where his patrol men buried him under tree, (they also mined the place) his remains were never found and far as i know there were two times that he was search there.
    If you ever or somebody search this place it would be great if he finally can come home.

Interesting story!

Page 94 of 154 FirstFirst ... 44 84 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 104 144 ... LastLast