Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bielefeld 2007.

Article about: Hello, Whilst serving in Bielefeld 2 years ago I had a little spare time on a weekend to go rumaging around in the basements of the surviving Wehrmacht buildings on camp. The items that foll

?

Default Re: Bielefeld 2007.

It is surprising that with a little thought, a really nice display can be made from such fragments.

Nice one ...

Gary J.

hi mark thanks for the post.very interesting.What unit where you in. i spent sometime with 49 fd ra (reme ) in lippstadt another old german camp.but i had no interest in its history back then.I suppose most don't appreciate it until after they've left.It's good to see you took the initiative while you could. thanks again eddy.

?

Very interesting place with still the items there!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    hi mark thanks for the post.very interesting.What unit where you in. i spent sometime with 49 fd ra (reme ) in lippstadt another old german camp.but i had no interest in its history back then.I suppose most don't appreciate it until after they've left.It's good to see you took the initiative while you could. thanks again eddy.
    Hello Eddy,

2 Close Support Company REME! Small world eh? VM by the way.

I did a fair old bit of snooping around Catterick Barracks too as that's where I was accomodated, unfortunately I couldn't find bugger all.

One thing I didn't mention was a 2in Mortar I found in the attic of my HQ building it was wedged between the inner roof and concrete flooring? Wish I'd taken a picture.

I guess some bloke got a shoeing for losing that bad boy, clearly I handed it in, not sure what happened to it in the end though.

Thanks for the comments fellas,

Mark.

hi mark i was a vm too.just out of interest did you ever hear the story of the underground german tank park beneath a parade square in one of the camps paderborn or munster or something like that.it got concreted shut with the germans still in it.i know it's probably an urban myth but you never know.if you remember anything let us know.cheers eddy

?

hi mark i was a vm too.just out of interest did you ever hear the story of the underground german tank park beneath a parade square in one of the camps paderborn or munster or something like that.it got concreted shut with the germans still in it.i know it's probably an urban myth but you never know.if you remember anything let us know.cheers eddy
    Hello Eddy,

VM eh? Artisan I hope?

Yeah! Got the same story in Catterick Barracks in Bielefeld, the bloke that ran the POL point said exactly the same thing, but I do believe it to be as you said an urban myth.

My first posting was to 7 Armd Wksp in Fallingbostel where the SS Wiking were located for a time, I heard the same story there back in 1989!

There is an ex squaddie lives in Fally and does a lot of battlefield archeaology around Fallingbostel, I think if there were any massed squadrons of German armour hidden beneath parade squares he would have been all over it

Saying that ,when I was in Bielefeld in 2007 they pulled the wreck of a Kettenkrad out of a hole around the back of an LAD/MT building down in Muenster, can't remember which unit. The bloke running the excavation borrowed an 8Tonne TM CALM from our unit to transport it to Dortmund, I think it went in the end.

So never say never!

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Interesting items ... do you have any more information about the circular red lens type object ... I've found several red lenses like this on an old USAAF base that I search regularly. I'm assuming that they are American ... ?

hi mark yeah i reckon your right it probably was an urban myth like the one i heard in the gulf about a guy sharing a tent with a medic and every morning he woke up with a sore arse and a headache .it turned out the medic was using chloroform to drug him when he was asleep then giving his arse a good reaming out .when i got back home i told my grandfather the story and he told me he heard the same one when he was fighting the afrika corps in 1942. some things never change. cheers eddy

?

Quote by gremlin View Post
    Hi Mark

Interesting items ... do you have any more information about the circular red lens type object ... I've found several red lenses like this on an old USAAF base that I search regularly. I'm assuming that they are American ... ?
    Hello,

I have no idea unfortunately, the Caddilac rubber pedal cover was found in the same area so I too asume it to be US in origin.

The amount of vehicle spare parts was phenomanal, even tiny fuses and bulbs with German and English markings, wish I'd been posted there 1946 not 2006

Cheers,

Mark.

?

hi mark yeah i reckon your right it probably was an urban myth like the one i heard in the gulf about a guy sharing a tent with a medic and every morning he woke up with a sore arse and a headache .it turned out the medic was using chloroform to drug him when he was asleep then giving his arse a good reaming out .when i got back home i told my grandfather the story and he told me he heard the same one when he was fighting the afrika corps in 1942. some things never change. cheers eddy
    Yeah think i heard that one once

Cheers,

Mark.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast