Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.

Article about: Hey guys! So I went out this week kayaking into the Boston harbor, to explore some of the islands WW2 bunkers/barracks and gun emplacements. Meant protect the city from possible U-boats/air

Hey guys!

Finally got out into the Boston harbor again. To explore some of the ruins from WW2. This time, I went two new islands, along with a fort and a U-boat watch tower, on the mainland nearby.

Map,
    Red, going out
    Green, coming in
    Blue X, fort Revere
    Yellow X, U-boat watch tower

First stop, Calf island. Nothing here related to the military. Old foundation from a house built in 1902. Unfortunately the house burnt down. (Vintage pictures of the house from Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands, thanks FBHI!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  
    Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 09-07-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Second stop, Peddocks island. One of the largest islands in Boston. The island was also used for filming of the movie Shutter Island. Heavily fortified during WW2. The island served primarily as a training ground. There was also gun emplacements built in the late 1890'S that were recommissioned during WW2. Also it housed thousands of Italian WW2 POWS. The POWS were even allowed to visit the North End, in Boston. (big Italian section of the city) What remains today of the military buildings/bunkers, are in various forms of disrepair. They have recently torn down many of the buildings and stabilized some. The church that you see was built in 1941. Some people live on the island, there are some ruins of old houses.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 08-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.

More Peddocks.

Third stop, Fort Revere. Located in Hull, Ma. Right where I boat launch. Nothing here, just some old bunkers/gun emplacements that were manned during WW2.

Last stop for today, Minot, Ma. There was several buildings that where built during WW2. To watch out for possible U-boats. Unfortunately I could not get to the buildings. All private property.... security told to me leave. So the photo of the light house is my photo. The other two are ones I found on the internet. One is of the watch tower.

More places further on!

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 09-24-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Very interesting pictures of an area I never knew about or visited. Thanks for posting.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

With certain structures similar to the harbor defenses of San Francisco, with which I grew up as a child and a source of endless joy to me.

Guarding the Gate: The Harbor Defenses of San Francisco by Scott Hess - Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built + Natural Environments

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.This work by a colleague of mine I can recommend with enthusiasm. Chin is a native San Franciscan, as am I, and his work is a labor of love.

San Francisco had somewhat less of the second world war than, say, Berlin or Warsaw, or Honolulu.....

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.This work originally appeared in the 1960s and was updated. It is a classic. I do not follow this field anymore, but it was my job in the 1970s.

Very very nice job.
    Chris

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast