Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

Default British Airfield refuse dump.

I've recently been searching a British airfield rubbish dump and have had a few interesting finds. If you can add any information or identify parts on this ongoing thread please let me know.

Thank You.

A few surface finds.

A complete plate dated 1945.

Other complete cups mostly Naafi marked various dates 1942 through to 1947 the year the airfield was closed. The paper labeled Marmite was unusual but the label turned to dust as it dried. The tin is Brilantine.

Base of one.

Metal items ash tray,cigarette box, lady's compact, mansion polish tin.

British Helmet.

The helmet was badly burnt and a bottle has melted inside. The burning meant the paint was burnt off so it rusted badly and sadly fell apart soon after the pictures were taken.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more finds to follow.

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

To bad about the helmet. They probably used it as a cooking pot. Could you salvage some of it?

Hi Blitzkrieg Bop, Wow that was a quick reply I do have the helmets remains because I want to see if I can clean the lugs to make out the date. LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Lucky,
    Great finds!!!!
    Looks like you have found a site like one of mine. If you have you can ditch the metal detector and just dig it.
    Keep the pic's coming.
    Andy

The first two pictures show an Air Ministry marked bakelite lamp housing, nicely marked with Downward Identification Lamp ref 5c 557. A letter G is painted on the back. From research I found this type was mostly used on Spitfires and Mosquito's although other aircraft did used them. If you can add more please let me know. Thank You.

The next set of pictures are all of the same item because it is so well marked and even includes an ID plate. It's about 1m long and has two large diaphragms halfway down on each side. Could it be for an aero engine perhaps a carburettor frame?, can you identify it?.

As found...

The top, notice the brass id plate.

ID Plate marked Stromberg Paris List No 95004 with an unidentified stamp to the right of this. Below is marked Serial No 139798A.

Even some of the nuts are ref number marked.

This is halfway down even its underside is also marked ?? - 70353 F2

This is the top underside marked 39 30 41 BJ

Finally the last couple of pics of the base show its markings as 70364 and ALCDO.

Thank You for any help.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more finds will follow

The top Almag casting I believe is the rotor arm access cover to an aircraft magneto.

Some excellent finds as per usual LS. I am afraid I can't ID anything you haven't already !

Love the crockery

Steve T

Hi Bird Dog thanks for the ID on the magneto housing, sadly its not marked but I'll take a couple of pics now that Ive cleaned it.
    Steve thanks for the thumbs up, Ive still got quite a few interesting finds to post on this thread so Im sure you'll be able to help with an ID or two.
    Cheers Guys.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Hello Luckystrike, Stromburg made carburettors for US aircraft and Packard built Merlins. Not sure what yours is from, the frame looks very odd!

A badly corroded alloy wheel, it now has only one of the spoke/arms left of the three. When I cleaned it I was able to push the central boss out, the lining is made of quality steel and has small numbers engraved at the bottom 395132 Acc 187? The internal surface of the wheel orifice is brass and it is grooved for the grease lubricant.

This bakelite item I believe is some sort of distributor cap similar to a cars but much larger and with many more cylinders?

A central viewing mirror of some sort, it is quite convext in shape which would have allowed a large area behind to be viewed. I think its suffered fire damage, most probably tip burning. Ive cleaned it and the well made mirror frame is made of brass but unmarked the bracket on its back would have allowed for a large amount of angle adjustment when in use. Could this been a cockpit mirror?

A stainless steel manifold, this item cleaned up nicely.

LUCKSTRIKE

more to follow

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast