Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

Hi Ian, Thanks for the info, the airfield remained British through out the war flying amongst others Spitfires. As far as I know only a few US planes used it due to emergency landings when they couldn't reach their own bases.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

The bakelite part is a 9 cylinder radial distributor which goes with the part I identified earlier, the rear view mirror is from an aircraft, the convex shape lends itself to a wide field of vision & is usually of brass bodied construction & finally the Stromberg part is indeed from a carb unit as Ian stated.

?

Could be from a Hudson or Ventura, both US made types operated by the RAF with Cyclone 9 cylinder radials. Also used on B17s. What does the backside of the mirror look like? keep them coming!

Is this a wing strut? it has an aerodynamic cover which has a metal based surfaced with some sort of foam filling. At the bottom of the strut are a number of drainage holes. You can see the seam of the join in the second picture. It seems to have had a red under coat of paint which was then over painted in green.
    I have no idea what type of aircraft used this?

I found a small section of the covering from the other end of the strut and this has the remains of the blue underside? paint.

An unidentified tool, it has flat rests on one side giving the impression it would be used in this position. I did wonder if it was a tool for bending conduit (electrical wire) tubing, but it seems too light weight to have the strength to do that?

From my earlier post, the now cleaned cigarette box, the ladys compact and the ash tray.

For me this last item is a very evocative relic. You often see period images of RAF crews drinking in the base messes or at dances to forget their experiences or to remember their lost friends, the missing Air crews. Notice the standard Pint mark showing GR initials for George VI.

I plan to use this glass one more time, I'll get an appropriate pint of English beer like Spitfire or London Pride and raise the glass to toast the memory of all the brave people from all nationalities who lived through that period of conflict.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more will follow but I've got to take more pic's so bear with me

?

I am entirely beaten! The strut looks like bracing from the outside of something very old, biplane? The 'tool' is aircraft structure (holes for lightening, Tufnol composite mounting block with the hole on the left hand end). A wild guess would be Anson but look for part numbers. Love the glass, a memorial pint or two would be very fitting.

Hi Bird Dog and Ian thank you very much for your ID's on the relics its a great help.
    Ian I cant find any reference to Hudsons or Ventura's using the airfield or for that matter B17's but in the build up to D DAY many different unrecorded models flew in briefly. I'm very impressed with your ID on the 'tool' because Ansons did fly from the base.
    I'll take more pictures of relics tomorrow and post.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Christ you have been busy. I can't belive you found a helmet it started to bring back memories of finding my one, it had some buckles stuck inside it. Thats a real shame it just blew up will you be able to stick it back together?

I will bring my one with me next time we meet

Lookingforward to seeing some more pictures

Cheers

John

Hi WH, Thanks for your post, sadly although most of the rim of the helmet has survived the central part has crumbled pretty much to nothing. It'll be good to see your find next time we meet up.
    Cheers for now.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Here is the now cleaned aircraft rotor arm access cover for a magneto, sadly it has no markings.

The cleaned up aircraft rear mirror, again I can find no markings but perhaps its under the stubborn rust stain.

Unidentified but well marked peice, any idea's what this is?

A relic British Gas Mask Type III rough condition but amazing when you consider the site was extensively burnt.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more to follow

An unmarked bakelite lamp housing?, the red lens was found separately but fits in perfectly.

Unidentified bakelite object, is it part of a button switch? As you can see it is marked 37AC X 91506 1/1 the other side is marked 6237.

Unsure what this is perhaps a sign?, the yellow paint used appears to be the same type used to paint aircraft identity numbers. The stylised M is silver painted.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more to follow

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast