Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Was it really that long ago Steve?
    Yep.......almost to the day. Here's original photograph in a folder marked 'communal site 30th March 2009'

Doesn't time fly when you're digging up relics.....

Steve T

PS Nice idea on the display
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

That must have been pretty soon after I joined the forum I think

Time does fly, and I can't quite get my head round everything that has taken place in such a short amount of time

Thanks

Danny

The gas mask parts look great though, even in the condition that they are in If you want I could send you a battered up hose and filter that I've had lying around for the past year or so? You could probably bash them up and age them a bit more until they are in a similar condition to the eyepieces and exhale assembly you already have and put together a display like in the picture below

Hi Danny,
    Thats a very kind offer I'd love to accept thank you very much I'll send you a PM.
    All the best
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks

Danny[/QUOTE]

Hello

No markings on the other peice
    Went to the rally yesturday all i found was a beer can went home about lunch time, field had been detected for 25 years and never ploughed LOL!

I must admit it was a cracking view

spent most of the day sitting in grans garden found this in the flower bed, my old man said he dreged it up in the 80's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.   British Airfield refuse dump.  

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    The gas mask parts look great though, even in the condition that they are in If you want I could send you a battered up hose and filter that I've had lying around for the past year or so? You could probably bash them up and age them a bit more until they are in a similar condition to the eyepieces and exhale assembly you already have and put together a display like in the picture below

Hi Danny,
    Thats a very kind offer I'd love to accept thank you very much I'll send you a PM.
    All the best
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks

Danny
    The parts are boxed up and I'll get them in the post to you asap

Thanks

Danny

A few more aero finds, when these were recovered they were so covered in rust and crud that I had to soak them in rust remover for a week before I could make anything out.

When found this ring just looked like rusted steel, I could make out no details except a small slither of brass showing through. So you can imagine how pleased I was when it emerged from the rust remover to show the scales down each side. Im assuming this is part of an altitude gauge because it shows feet on one side and seconds (time) down the other. It probably recorded rate of climb or descent. Can you confirm what it is and perhaps what it came off.

This piece has survived very well except of course for the saw cuts to the tube when I assume it was removed from an aircraft and dumped. It's well marked so I've included a few pictures to show each mark. Could it be something to do with hydraulics'?
    Thank You
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    A couple more will follow

The tube with cuts in looks like a hydraulic ram to me. Sorry i dont know what bit of the aircraft its from.

Just seen the size 5 1/2" its very small. Could it have something to do with a breaking system?? Just a guess.
    Andy.

?

The label is off a camera control unit from a Photo recon or some bomber aircraft. Can't find a picture at the moment.

Im not sure what this is, sadly although it was marked on the side corrosion has removed much of the numbers. I took quite a few pictures because I thought the details might aid identification.

The second relic is in fairly good condtion and is well marked still retaining the its reference plate. But I can't make head nor tail of it, The US plates are much easier showing manufacturer and aircraft type. Hopefully someone can identify this piece.

Thank you for looking.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast