Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

Hi Guys

Andy,
    Thanks for that, yes it could be from a braking system, the reference number shows at the end LH (left hand) so perhaps from the left hand wheel brake system.
    Ian,
    Thats a good ID, a camera control unit, It hadn't crossed my mind, I'd thought perhaps aircraft control panel so thanks for that, if you do manage to find a picture of one in use please post because seeing it in the flesh so to speak brings a relic to life.
    Thanks again for your input.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi John 'Whitehunter'

Shame about the site you searched, but recovering that tail unit is probably better than any WW2 relic you might have found there. The tail unit and fin is an awsome piece and great condition for being recovered from the sea. You should do a seperate post on it to see if it can be ID. Lovely find.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

spent most of the day sitting in grans garden found this in the flower bed, my old man said he dreged it up in the 80's[/QUOTE]

I thought it was about time I posted pictures of a few more recent finds.

first up is another helmet, this time it looks like someone put a pick axe through it before dumping. When I cleaned it sadly one side fell a part but I kept all the pieces and reassembled it to take the pictures, A good technique learning exercise for me.

An interesting starting handle, this is made of brass with a steel coating for the handle, could this be for an early or smaller aero engine?

An unidentified tool/clamp with brass covers on the end, these brass covers have a flat spot on each.

Here is a mixed bunch of metal, the US mess tin plate was an unusual find because there was no recorded US involvement at this site.

A close up of the Steradent tin (for denture powder), this'll go nicely with my dental tool finds from Evesham. I like to think of the little guy who used this standing up against the so called (English propaganda) 'the might of the Nazi supermen'

The remains of yet another torch.

I like this find the remains of a brass backed thermometer, marked with the usual freezing, body temp, boiling point for spirit and water.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Awesome and impressive finds as always Nice job cleaning them up aswell

Thanks for sharing

Danny

Not another helmet

Well done keep up the good work

Here's a few more. The final picture shows a labeled Air Ministry junction box.

Heres another mixed selection of mainly early plastic and bakelite.

Attachment 155960

I dont know what this plastic fibre cog wheel came from? picture shows a close up of the ref number beginning 15.

Attachment 155977

Next is an interesting scaled meter device, Ive included a picture from the side to show the mechanism, if you have any idea what it may be please let me know.

Attachment 155988

Extra thick glass perhaps armoured? that has detached from a plastic laminate type coating?

I show this because this bulb filament is still complete.

An ideas what this could be?, it is made of an alloy like aero skin with a strengthening steel ring around an opening?

oops it takes so long for the pictures to down load that by the time the last ones were downloaded the first four had been deleted so I'll put them here.

Thank you

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

AL90
    ?

The 20mm round is stamped "BMARC" which stands for British Manufacturing And Reasearch Company. The RL on the .303 round stands for Royal Laboratories, Woolwich.
    The section of alloy with the steel ring looks very much like fuel tank access panel. Scaled piece looks like oil temperature gauge.
    If there are any air raid shelters that have been filled in they are probably full of bits. On one airfield we found new boxed merlin exhausts, Spitfire throttles and a Barracuda control panel but stopped when we got to bottles of Plasma

Nice finds again LS. I've seen similar re-enforced rings that I have eventually ID'd as the filler cap off drop tanks. Yours may well be something similar. Certainly with that amount of reinforcement it is designed to take some pressure !

Quote by AL90 View Post
    ........ On one airfield we found new boxed merlin exhausts, Spitfire throttles and a Barracuda control panel but stopped when we got to bottles of Plasma
    Welcome to the forum AL90 One question I have for you. Why on earth did bottles of plasma make you stop ?

Cheers

Steve T

?

Al's right with the gauge, pressure rather than temperature but from the instrument panel of lots of things fitted with Merlins
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.   British Airfield refuse dump.  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast