Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

British Airfield refuse dump.

Article about: Nice photos, the mirror looks similar to an early war Spitfire type but the mounting is wrong, they were always aluminium. That said it could have been used on a truck or bike after it was s

Default Re: British Airfield refuse dump.

Hi John and Danny thanks for your comments.

AL90, Thanks for your id's, very much appreciated particularly the gauge.
    I'd never thought about it before but it makes complete sense to use the redundant airfield air raid shelters as a dumping site for waste. I'll certainly start looking for tell tale signs of them now.
    I too would have stopped searching if I'd started to recover full plasma bottles, the thought of 70+ years old plasma turns my stomach. But your search sounds very interesting were any photo's taken at the time?

Ian_ You've come up trumps again Im thrilled with the id, I love the pictures. My relic is definitely an oil pressure gauge and appears to be the same as your pics and to top it all, from an instrument panel of a Merlin powered aircraft Im thrilled. Ive checked details and the only recorded aircraft I can find that flew from the site powered by Merlin's were Spitfires.

Steve T. Thanks mate I had a hunch it was something like a reinforced filler opening but because of its size was unsure. So its good to get a couple posts also suggesting this use.

All the best.

LUCKYSTRIKE

It's being a pharmacist I suppose.......bottles of plasma, to me, are another interesting relic to get out the ground so I can get to the bottom of the dump !

Remember at Evesham LS ? I found those bone splints. Now that is my kind of relic !

Steve T

So is plasma dryed blood put into a tin and then mixed with water ?

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    So is plasma dryed blood put into a tin and then mixed with water ?
    LOL ! You are funny WH

No. Plasma is blood which has had the red and white blood cells and platelets removed from it. You end up with a liquid not unlike raw egg white but runnier So basically, plasma is the fluid that carries your blood cells

Laters

Steve T

John
    Plasma is the straw coloured liquid that carries the blood cells, it is usually carried in bottles WW2 and is still used today to give to people usually suffering blood loss until a blood transfusion of the correct blood group can be administered. Plasma is obtained by centrifuging (spinning) normal blood which removes the red and white blood cells.

Steve
    Your finds of the splints were a great and unusual find for any collection in fact I saw a pic recently of WW2 splints which reminded me of yours, so if I can remember where it was I'll send it over to you. For me plasma is part of a human being and being of WW2 vintage is now probably a long dead person, so I agree it's an interesting find to photograph but I dont think I'd want to keep it in the collection. But the carrying bottle would be an interesting addition especially if still labelled.
    All the best.
    LS

AL90
    ?

Unfortunately, that time, we didn't photograph the finds but all went to the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation museum.
    The detector find below was one of our best !
    Merlin 45 and before anyone asks a Licenced recovery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airfield refuse dump.  

Wow AL90 that's a very impressive relic to recover, it makes my small morsels seem so insignificant. It's in remarkable condition for a crashed aircraft that spent umpteen years below ground Did you recover any other major parts from this aircraft? is it a Spitfire? Its so big I'm assuming it went to an aviation museum if so which one? because I'd like to visit one day if I'm in the area.
    Thanks.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

AL90
    ?

Just a wee taster to show what can turn up with a bit of research to keep your enthusiasm fired. The engine is from Lancaster PB456 which crashed in the hills behind Loch Lomond in 1944 and was 14feet down in a peat bog (one of our best finds). We also recovered another engine in the same condition and numerous other parts including a packed parachute all of which went to the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum which is well worth a visit. Both engines will run again when time and money allows.
    The museum, over the years, has recovered many complete aircraft from peat bogs and of course has the Spitfire from Loch Doon under rebuild. One Spitfire recovered, AD540, is nearly rebuilt to flying condition.
    Your parts are very significant because if nobody cared and took the time to research sites and show what was found much of history and the knowledge people have at present would be lost.
    If you don't have an airfield map you should be able to get one from either RAF Hendon or After the Battle magazine, talk to all the old people round the airfield before they pass on and the farmers, it is amazing what old people remember. We use O.S maps, satelite and aerial photos to show up marks in fields.
    Look forward to seeing more of your finds in the future,
    Alan.

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the details on your find I love the photo of the engine fresh out of the ground. It'll be fantastic if they do fire up again one day and if it happens it'll be well worth recording. Its amazing what is restorable theses days but obviously at some cost. Have the museum ever tried for a lottery grant it could perhaps help with some of the costs? Crossed fingers it'll come to fruition.

I live in the South of England but visiting the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation museum is definitely on my to do list for the future. You've certainly fired up my enthusiasm thank you.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Heres are few more finds that Ive recently cleaned.

This first piece is made of aero alloy and is sturdy, it seems to have an aerodynamic shape on one side, you can also see the remains of three of the rusted bearings. Do you have any idea what this could be?

A nicely marked bakelite object, could it possibly be a small electric motor?

A bakelite/fibre wheel you can see the markings in the picture, Im assuming this is a routing wheel for control cables?

Small alloy block for three pipes probably hydraulics.

Again this is alloy made but poor condition, seems to be a downsizing tube joint, notice it has a brass washer/seal on the inside.

The final item is a brass lever on a cog wheel mounting that appears to have been used in a steel mounting (hence the rust stains), sadly I can find no markings on this?

Thank You.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast