Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Article about: Hi all Well, I don't think it is a PIAT part. Here are two pictures from the manual. Now unless the bit WH has is made up of more than one of the parts shown, it doesn't appear to be part of

Default British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Hi all

Well, we had the last RRPG dig of the year this weekend at the British Army dump we've been to on a couple of previous occasions.

This visit was attended by;

Steve T
    Dangermouse + friend to help dig
    Jayh
    M3Bobby + dad
    Billers
    DaveJB

It was, like every visit to this site so far, well worth the completely knackered back, arms and legs that I am suffering with today. I reckon I must have shifted a couple of tons of earth at least ! I didn't get up until late and have only just worked my aching joints loose enough to take pictures and sort out my finds

Anyone would think I was as old as Dave............

So let's get this thread started. A few shots of everything I recovered and some close ups of a few special items. I'll be cleaning like a looney over the next few weeks and will post pictures of cleaned stuff as soon as it gets done

Pile one. Quite a few Sten parts and some nice magazines far right. You may also notice the remains of a Lewis mag on the right as well. There was a lot of swearing when this came out the hole as I probably decimated it myself, thinking it was another pile of rusty tin cans ! Oh well.......

More LE bolts and other bits. Lots of sten parts again and quite a few LE mags. Note the Sten magazine holders mid shot......not found one of these before so a nice addition to the collection of Sten parts.

Here they are a little closer. Not sure if the other object is anything. Not ID'd it yet.

A Bren Butt plate and two LE butt plates, one still attached to the stock !

Another first from the site, the larger Mk 2 Sten mag loading tool. Found plenty of the Mk 4s but this was the first of this type. In good condition to.

You can't see these too well at the moment but believe me when I say they are good finds ! Above the standard 303 inspection rounds is a Boyes round, but a very strange one. It is solid cast metal and may have been an armourers tool. Whatever it was used for it's damned unusual ! To the left of the Boyes is a Bore viewing tool. It still has the mirror intact and will clean up very nicely you wait and see ! First time I have recovered one from the site. Far right top are the end stock cover for a No 4 LE.

Last picture for now. A 20rnd Thompson mag and a BAR mag. Both firsts for me from this site.

Lots and LOTS more pictures to come. Wait and see what M3 and DM found !!! Oh, and Billers had the find of the visit........

Steve T

Default Re: British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Great finds Steve,looking forward to seeing the others.Thanks for showing

Ok, here is the first cleaned bit. I couldn't wait to clean this

It's a bore mirror, for checking inside the barrel without having to shove your eye over the end

Here it is before cleaning.

And here it is after 15 minutes of cleaning using a metal scourer, brillo pad and a touch of Cillit Bang!

Unfortunately the mirror didn't survive. It was smashed anyway when I first dug it up so I wasn't surprised when it fell out completely. Would've been nice to try and preserve it but it wasn't to be in this case. You can see where it sat though, at a 45 degree angle to allow viewing inside the barrel.

Somewhere in my pile of finds I believe I may have the cap for it that attaches to the end of the chain. Fingers crossed !

Much more to come !

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hi all

Here they are a little closer. Not sure if the other object is anything. Not ID'd it yet.

This kinda looks like this:

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Hi Vegar, you are correct. But I think Steve is looking to id the grid like object in the pic which features the Sten Mag housing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nice finds!

Vegar - Thanks my friend but Ade is correct. I am seeking an ID on the grid object in the picture. I knew what the mag housing was when it came out the ground, as you could tell from my cheers and swearing

BB - Thanks mate

Steve T

?

Ive never heard such disgraceful swearing as when Steve pulled the Lewis mag out broken, terrible, and i never swore once throuhout the entire day, he even swore at me when i fell into his hole, tut tut

Quote by davejb View Post
    ..... he even swore at me when i fell into his hole, tut tut
    ..........But then I thanked you because I realised I could follow the seam of Sten parts I'd found, even though a lot of them were broken because your 23 stone had landed on them.

?

A seam, it was more like a gopher hole, every where you tried to walk, it was "careful you cant tread there, or there or here" when i did eventually find a place to walk what happened , i fell down another bloody hole, theres more tunnels under there than Stalag luft III, Even the rabbits are jealous for being outdone in burrowing

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast