Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Article about: Hi all Well, I don't think it is a PIAT part. Here are two pictures from the manual. Now unless the bit WH has is made up of more than one of the parts shown, it doesn't appear to be part of

Default Re: British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

I think it'd be wise if we tape out safe routes next time, like they did for minefields. That way, we can hopefully avoid having to pull you out of, let me think now........THREE bloody holes !!!! You were in the damn holes more than on the surface of the land most of the time, prompting DM to ask if you had any badgers in your ancestry.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good haul Steve.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the gangs finds

Next lot of cleaned stuff

Need help with a couple of these bits

First up some Lee-Enfield bolts and one brass oiler bottle, squashed

A No.1 barrel end piece

Far right is the Mk 2 Sten mag loading tool. Far left I think is a Bren oil bottle, if anyone can confirm this it would be good As for the thumb turn.....no idea. Can't pin the bugger down ! Anyone recognise it ?

A really nice Lee-Enfield trigger gauge on the right. On the left is an object that, again, I can't ID. Can anyone help ? The pointed end is solid brass. The tubular end is open with a large notch in it.

The Boyes 'round'. As I said earlier in this thread, it is made of one solid cast piece of metal but, curiously, it has a hole running right through it. Anyone ID exactly what it was used for ? An Armourer's 'gauge' ?

View of the hole running through the 'round'

Now a nice piece of Lee-Enfield stock with the butt plate and sling hook still attached.

The butt plate cleaned up rather well

Now for some nice Lee-Enfield mags. Five here, all out of a relatively small area. Whilst not exactly usable, they are, non-the-less, in remarkable condition considering they've been buried for 65+ years

Two different types here as well. Not only is the rear ridge different, but I've also noticed the ribs on the two faces don't run all the way to the bottom with one type but do with the other. I am sorry to admit it as I should know, but what's the difference ? Different manufacturer or are they for different LEs ?

More.....MUCH more to follow. Going to be a while though as I've gotta get the drill out

Steve T

?

I reckon that Boyes round could be a barrel alignment tool, place the round in the breech and sight through the hole to see if the barrel is straight

Hi Steve,
    Impressive finds as always from this site, its nice to see a few different (not found before) items coming out as well. Must say Im also very impressed with your speed of turn around, some of your relics must have been out the ground and polished within hours. I'm watching this space so please keep posting as they're done.
    Thanks Mate
    LS

Steve, the oil bottle is for a Bren as you thought, I picked up a load of good ones. The Mags are from a No. 1 series and the No. 4 series, the No.1 has the grooves that run top to bottom, the No.4 has the grooves which stop just above the bottom. You jammy sod, now you mention the hole (Didnt see the hole when you showed me it at the site) the Boys round I'm 100% sure is a .55 to .22 sub calibre adapter by Parker Hale.

Enfield - BSA "Boys" Anti-Tank Rifle

I'll get some of my finds up soon. I've got them in oil at the moment, found a Bore mirror with cover but its badly burnt, and a few other nice finds.

?

Hells bells, those expellor rods , there were about three of them dotted around, noone thought they were from anything, i found one of them and showed Steve and DM , we didnt associate it with anything, there was even one in the spoil that Steve dug up or Billers

Anybody ID this?

me and LS found loads of these last time

Inside
    It had a screw cap on which i removed so i could see inside

John

ian
    ?

that thumb turn thing as you call it is a lock catch from a bren gun transit chest or a no4T transit chest
    cheers ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !  

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast