Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Article about: Hi all Well, I don't think it is a PIAT part. Here are two pictures from the manual. Now unless the bit WH has is made up of more than one of the parts shown, it doesn't appear to be part of

Default Re: British Army Dump - October 2011 - Last RRPG dig of the year !

Quote by ian View Post
    that thumb turn thing as you call it is a lock catch from a bren gun transit chest or a no4T transit chest
    cheers ian
    Its not from a Bren chest, theyre rounded rather than triangular, and this is slightly larger than the type on the Bren chest, I was thinking when It came out of the ground that it was similar to a chest catch, perhaps off somthing larger?

ian
    ?

yep your right
    i just looked at my bren chest and they are round and smaller as youve stated
    cheers ian

I think the idea is the same, just on a larger scale.

Thanks guys. I am dead chuffed with the Boyes sub calibre round. Awesome.

So to clarify, the mags you term 'series' just relate to the No.1 and No. 4 LE yes ?

Thanks

Steve T

Hi Steve, thats correct, I used the term series as the No.1 mag is a bad term really as the No.1 rifle was only called that post 192?, prior to that it was the Mk1, 3, IV (.22), 5 etc. These mags were used on the CLLE, SMLE Mk3 and 5 etc. The No.4 mag was used on all marks of No.4 and the No.5 rifle

Heres a Butt marking disc I found, it even had the screw but the screw was rubish so after a quick clean I fitted it to a Bren I had with a hole for a disk. Unfortunatly there are no markings other than the WD Broad Arrow on the back. I think it fits in quite well with the weathered look of the butt.

This is the Vickers Water can I dug out with what appears to be 3rd Beds HG painted on it. I assume it to be 3rd Bedfordshire Home Guard.

2 versions of Vickers Tripod ammo box carriers, one is much larger than the other but of the same design.

These items have gone in a bath of penetrating oil so wont be out for a while yet. My favourite items are the Boys mag, the Bren Butt plate and the Aerial Lewis Butt handles.

M3 - Great finds. I love the fact you've re-used the Bren disc You picture also shows the butt plate type I found which is great.

The markings on that can are amazing and the rest of your finds are really good to. I can't recall seeing any Lewis handles coming out before, and I am really jealous of the PIAT sight.

Steve T

?

By the looks of the construction, (The item is tightened internally with a four prong tool, and the thread is a fine "gas type" thread), .. maybe part of a a gas return mechanism for auto loading of a weapon ?.

Another suggestion ... check the thread against the thread on the base of a mills bomb .... maybe a discharger spigot of some type ?

Gary J.

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Anybody ID this?

me and LS found loads of these last time

Attachment 255535
    Attachment 255536
    Inside
    Attachment 255537
    It had a screw cap on which i removed so i could see inside
    Attachment 255538

John

I was thinking along the lines of the PIAT internals but I dont have and cant find a exploded view of one. My other thought was a large grease gun of somt sort.

I've got a PIAT manual with a full break down of parts with pictures I'll have a look and get back to you

I'd already spoken to WH and said it reminded me of something I'd seen in one of the manuals I've got.......

Steve T

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast