Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Browning MG handle

Article about: Hi all This was found on an RRPG dig at the British army dump we've been digging. It was found a few months back now by Jayh and still needs cleaning. Any tips we can give Jayh on cleaning t

Default Browning MG handle

Hi all

This was found on an RRPG dig at the British army dump we've been digging. It was found a few months back now by Jayh and still needs cleaning.

Any tips we can give Jayh on cleaning this relic would be much appreciated.

Jammy git for finding it !!!!!

Browning MG handle

Browning MG handle

Browning MG handle

And here's one on a Browning for reference

Browning MG handle

Browning MG handle

It appears to be of all metal construction so whatever Jayh does to clean it has got to be gentle as there is a lot of corrosion.

Steve T

Default Re: Browning MG handle

Some of the Eastern front diggers on here have shown techniques using lemon juice etc, with great results.

Its a aluminium handle so I suppose the aluminium oxide corrosion is beyond recovery, the one in the photo is the later 'Armor steel' version cast all in one. I do like the lemon idea, a mild acid I suppose. A chemist may have an idea of what would react with ally oxide in a better way.

http://browningmgs.com/Backplates/Images/FM23-55.jpg

Forget that the pic says the ally one is for a 1919A6, its actually a 1917 back plate modified with a cast ally grip for the 1919A4

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    A chemist may have an idea of what would react with ally oxide in a better way.
    LOL ! That'll be me then

M3 is correct. The oxidised (white) areas are beyond recovery so it is about stabilising the relic. I would suggest cleaning it in mild soapy water with a stiff scrubbing brush and may be a small wire brush, (like the ones used for cleaning BBQs), to remove all the oxidisation. I'd then dry it and leave it for a week or two and see what happens. Only after this treatment would I even think about lemon juice/citric acid/white vinegar treatment.

And here we have the result of the cleaning.

Started with hot soapy water and a small wire brush. Then Brillo pad all over. 6 hours in vinegar. Cleaned again in hot soapy water and then dried. I then ran the electric drill & wire brush attachment over it once or twice.

HEY PRESTO !

Good as new. Kind of.

I've put the before and after shots next to each other so you can see the difference

Browning MG handleBrowning MG handle

Browning MG handleBrowning MG handle

Browning MG handle

?

Wow !!!!!!! Told you that you would be better off with it than me !! Very very impressed !

?

Good find.

Quote by jayh View Post
    Wow !!!!!!! Told you that you would be better off with it than me !! Very very impressed !
    Hehehehe Good at cleaning stuff ain't I

Many MANY thanks for the trip today Jay and the swap of finds. The handle is already in my cupboard, top shelf, bang in the middle

Get those M104 top caps in vinegar see if you can loosen the rust. Mine doesn't appear to be bad quality steel at all so hopefully you can recover the markings on them.

Steve T

PS The weekend of the big dig, you're quite welcome to stay at mine if you want, or at least nip over to see my war room if you don't wanna stay