Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bullet head rifling data

Article about: Are you sending these out Via email mate?

Default Bullet head rifling data

Hello peeps, after talking with a very clever friend of mine he said if I had ever looked into the rifling marks left on the rifle/pistol heads. So, I got out a load of relics and had a look at the info I had to hand...

Grabbing a .45 head that I could clearly see had nice clear rifling marks, knowing that the US only really used these in Thompson's, Grease guns and the M1911 pistol. Luckily each of these has a different twist and number of grooves. So what I was now holding was certainly fired from a Thompson excellent.

Then came the dawnting task of looking at .303's and looking into how many guns used that caliber. So I made a list and nearly all the rifles have the same pattern, yet the Bren and Vickers are unique in there configuration... so a quick search through my heads and I found one fired from a Bren. (as most of you will know you can I'd Bren cartridge from the unique firing pin mark it leaves) I'm beginning to like Bren's more and more.

I have just compiled an excel spread sheet listing nearly all guns use during ww1 and ww2, there calibers, what was chambered, number of rifling grooves and which direction the twists go. If anyone wants a copy just ask. Or can I upload it somehow?

Mouse

Default Re: Bullet head rifling data

I'll have a copy please

You could try turning it into a PDF file and then uploading it onto the forum. Not sure if it will let you upload a PDF but probably worth a try

I would love to have that as pdf??? How on earth can I do that.

I have ID'd a P17 head too

?

Before you do that comprise a list of grooves from each fired round you have, the easiest way is to ink each round and produce a form of fingerprint on paper, list the round, twist and weapon used, there should be many variations dependant on grooves, you should end up with a form of forensic grouping

Its now in pdf format ready to be sent out to the world

?

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Its now in pdf format ready to be sent out to the world
    I take it you dont like my idea then!!!,all i can say is PFUI, so there

To be honest, I didn't really understand your idea... bloody kids!

Did you want a copy?If so send me your email address and you still haven't accepted my friend request on facebook :'( there lots of nice pics on there btw

Mouse

?

For crying out loud, you take the head of a spent round, put ink on it, roll it on a piece of paper and voila, you have a record of the groove in clear detail which is easier to look at in a straight line rather that turning the actual head around to see the groove, it also shows up all the minute details of the rifling, i have'nt seen your request but i'll have a look right now and send you my e-mail
    dave

?

theres no request on my wall, try again, i daresay you've asked the wrong person, bloody typical

just sent you a message... i cant invite you again, it just says pending!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast