Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone ID this please ?

Article about: Hi all I picked this up as I walked around the Somme this year, it seems to be the top of a projectile but I have no idea what kind or which nationality. There are no markings I can see. Any

Default Can anyone ID this please ?

Hi all

I picked this up as I walked around the Somme this year, it seems to be the top of a projectile but I have no idea what kind or which nationality. There are no markings I can see.
    Anyone tell me what it is ? Thanks for looking, all the best
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone ID this please ?   Can anyone ID this please ?  

?

Default Re: Can anyone ID this please ?

Think it is the top of a German shell fuse - the body was aluminium and has shattered or corroded away - sorry cannot be more specific

Cheers Nick, had a look on the excellent Passion/Compassion site, think you are right, seems like a top and piece of a German KZ14 fuse, thanks for the info.

All the best

FW

?

That's the one - I knew it had "14" in it - I have one somewhere mounted on a wooden plinth and was trying to find it to post up a photo - will still do so if it turns up soon!

Look forward to seeing it, thanks Nick.

Hey Nick, just come back from the Somme this w/end and as I was walking towards the Val Braithwaite memorial at Serre saw this on the church steps !! Quite ironic as it was at Serre this March that I found the piece !

All the best

FW

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2474/dscf3884s.jpg

That looks live to me !

It is ! It was left on the steps near the road by Serre chapel for collection by demineurs. It was photographed only to compare with the piece of fuse I picked up earlier this year at the top of this thread.

Cheers Steve

Nigel

Phew ! For a minute there I thought you'd taken the damn thing home !!!

No worries on that score Steve, but it never fails to amaze me the amount of ordnance from ww1 that is still around, far more than ww2 which seems mad but in my experience very true !

All the best