Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can I post images here of items found on USAAF Air Base for help with Identification???

Article about: Hi Guys I would just like to know if as a new member I can post images here so as to hopefully get help identifying them. They are all from USAAF Air bases and have been found while walking

I think item 1 is part of the antifreeze system from the B17, nice finds.

?

That's a lot of interesting item's.
    I think the throat mic's are the best find. Its a personal item, not a wrench left in the dirt!!

Speaking of wrenches,
    Item#12
    Might might might be a Oleo wrench for the tail landing gear.
    I'm looking at a copy of a B-17 F manual that someone gave me on CD. I spent all morning looking for that first finned item. NO LUCK!!

But in the maintenance section for tools, There was a picture of an item that was L shaped and small like the one posted. That was described as Oleo wrench for rear landing gear. There is also a Oleo wrench for the Main gear but shaped different.
    So I was comparing a old pic from a manual to a pic of a rusted item posted. That is where the it might might might be that same tool comes in.
    I would imagine that a lot of the items will be ground crew items/equipment along with some B-17 parts taken off when repaired.
    Really Cool.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for going through your manual that is much appreciated - I also found a manual online and also couldn't find it in there so obviously not from a B-17 - maybe one of the ground vehicles??? Do you know what model vehicles they used at the bases here in the UK?? Did the ground crews start the B-17 Engines with a crank pole or just vehicles?? I think I have found one of those. Also got a nice triangular piece of aluminum which I am guessing is from a B-17 - will photograph later. Going for another walk in a bit so maybe find some more bits. Weather permitting gonna go take a look at Grafton tomorrow and will try get some pictures - not sure how much access we will get but will try.

Regards
    Neil

?

I never really got into the GSE (Ground Support Equipment) side of maintaining a B-17, So my info is limited on that gear.

On another note.
    I would keep this thread USAAF related and open up a new tread for your wehrpas here.https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photo...a-third-reich/
    and the other armband in this section so you get more eye's on it. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/nsdap-kampfbinde-forum/

I can't wait to see the Graton-Underwood pic!!

Maybe if you ask nicely, one of the Mod's can move them for you!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Today's Finds - Now to start cleaning - lovely Tunic Button Found

Can I post images here of items found on USAAF Air Base for help with Identification???

Best find of the day - US Overcoat Button Scovill Mig Co Waterbury

Macleans Toothpaste Lid still attached to part of the tub

Alligator Electrical Insulator - used in the buildings

Now the unidentifiable items

Item 14

This item definitely looks like it is from a B-17 and also the part number is in the same series as other B-17 part numbers but doesn't show in the B-17G Parts manual

Item 15

This item has two different numbers on it both with the letters ACET in a circle - seems ACET has something to do with aircraft parts. ACET B1247 and ACET 1245 on the little box - very interesting and the op right picture shows a glass see-through piece in the bolt. Any ideas????

Item 16

Plastic tubing clearly marked "TANT DEC 18 1943" TANT is what is left of the word RESISTANT so could this be off a B-17??

Item 17

Piece of aluminium shaped nearly like a triangle with a series of hook cut out to fasten it to something and also looks like a bullet hole on the side. - No numbers can be found on this piece and it definitely has a gold tinge to it.

Item 18

Very light material looks like a type of metal but not sure

Item 19

General Electric Part - details on the unit say - Made in the USA - CALIGC3A197 - PAT NO 1611014 / 1565321 / 1097829. Has a 2 prong connector on the one side - wire coming out the other and another connector from the top. Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

Regards
    Neil
    Last edited by Safariman; 02-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Default More Finds and some need ID if anyone can help

More happy hunting today

Bomb Ring - Pity one of the little connecting arms was missing probably the reason it was discarded. This item fits on the back of the bomb and then the tail fin is joined to the bomb via this ring.

Part of a Bomb Shackle - Front right part of a B-17 Bomb Shackle these units where used to fit the bombs into the bomb bay and then would have a release catch on them that the bombardier would release to drop the bombs.

Clamp - Wittek.MGM.Co made in the USA - Chicago Pat No 2278337 - Model FB-18 This would have been one of the engine hose clamps. Still in working order

Different Crockery Stamps found from same base

Item 19 - Unknown item but definitely has been damaged by explosion or being hit by a round - any ideas??

Have a great weekend

Regards
    Neil

Default Shock find in the dump

Well I am totally shocked at finding what I did today as I always go expecting to find the normal bits like bottles - Bullet casings - broken parts etc etc but never dream't of finding a broken Ping Pong / Table Tennis ball from the entertainment area of the camp. Just unbelievable to think how many wonderful men and even women might have had the game with this. Nothing spectacular but definitely humbling. I will try open it up and see if it still has some writing on it.

More items to follow shortly

Item 20

Not at all sure what this is but will try and research online does look familiar though

Item 21

Unknown bullet casing due to the strange damage on the bottom

RAF Jacket DOT Zip End

Last edited by Safariman; 02-27-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Default Item 15 Identified

Item 15

I have been going through B17 manuals and the internet looking for this part and have finally convinced myself that I have found it - The unit is the Hydraulic Power Unit Reservoir - as shown in this photo and explained in the short piece.

Item 20

I am pretty sure item 20 is half a Generator Brush wear from type O-1 Generators. As per picture

Can I post images here of items found on USAAF Air Base for help with Identification???Can I post images here of items found on USAAF Air Base for help with Identification???

Two down 18 to go
    Last edited by Safariman; 03-01-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Default Bomb arming wire and stop clip

I was so happy to find these - was on my to find list now need to find some kidney plates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2