Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

can you id a few buckles please

Article about: Hi guys, Found all these in one small burn pit on my airfield, about 6 inches deep and a metre square.Amoungst the 2 hundred or so buckles there was also 4 raf cap badges, a parachute clip,

Default can you id a few buckles please

Hi guys,
    Found all these in one small burn pit on my airfield, about 6 inches deep and a metre square.Amoungst the 2 hundred or so buckles there was also 4 raf cap badges, a parachute clip, some pieces of gas mask and a button cleaning aid. Im sure i have a good amount of belt buckles but not sure of all the others. many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can you id a few buckles please   can you id a few buckles please  

can you id a few buckles please   can you id a few buckles please  

Default Re: can you id a few buckles please

Great Haul! love the RAF badges. What is the item in the last picture next to the capbadges, is it some sort of badge?

John

Im not sure John, its waiting to be cleaned,,,,, may well have been but it has definetly melted in the fire. Im going back to the same spot tomorrow to see if iv missed any other finds. Any ideas what equipment these buckles may be off?

Just a few guesses:

Note: Some buckles are used on several types of equipment:

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Many thanks Vegar, very helpful......

Hi Gibba
    Good to hear from you and see you're still at it
    Lovely finds that must be a record finding all those RAF badges together plus all the buckles. They must have burnt plenty of webbing etc in that pit.
    Good Luck with your search tomorrow and I hope you get more.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I agree with most of what Vegar said, except 1d is wrong, the buckles on the rear of a WE37 belt are not open-frame. 1d is a standard buckle found on the sides and bottom of a WE37 haversack (amongst many other places). The closed smaller buckles (e.g. between 2a and 1d) are from the front of a haversack and close the main flap via two thin straps, the tips from which are in this picture:

on the lower right. Pretty sure a haversack (small pack) got burned there. The rings with small metal piece attached are the remains of plastic buttons with a metal shank, probably from Denim Battledress. These were removable and held on with the ring.

Rob

Did you find anymore bits today mate?

Thanks guys for all the positive identifications, very much appreciated! Not really much of a success today, a couple more buckles, spark plugs was all that surfaced, time to move on to a new location as this one is empty!