Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Canadian grave markers?

Article about: Deleted as I will stop posting relics I find in France.

A quote from the other thread posted by the thread starter of this thread

You realy have no clue what you are talking about. France signed the Valletta Treaty in 1995, and that means I can use a detector on my own land, it even means I can use a detector on other peoples land if I have their permission. The only exception is if the land is protected, like the beaches of Normandie, or the wwI battle fields in the north. Also sites like Roman sites are protected, but I can search my own land with a metal detector, and I dont need any permission of anybody to do so.
    By the way; nice avator of the church in St Mere de Eglise, I can see the church and village from my window. That is where I live, and detect.

And another from the same thread

Indeed, my understanding is that all relics from WW1 and WW2, regardless of where or how they are found, are now property of the French state. Removal of them from the location you find them is classed as theft from the state and, as already been pointed out, subject to hefty fines.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I really don't want to get into a pissing match here.... However I think that with the lands onwers permission then if we relic hunt for the right reason then It is fare game. I would love to have those temp GRAVE MARKERS as I would donate them to a Museum that would display them
    And I would make sure that was done..we lose so much history as things crumble away..
    Just My Thoughts

Dean O Canada

It is not about any of our opinions, it is about abiding by the laws of the land in which the detecting is undertaken and in the case of France it seems that any items from both Wars (and other periods) belong to the state regardless of who owns the land or if they have given permission for detecting to take place.

This forum cannot be seen to condone illegal detecting regardless of whether we think it is right or wrong.
    Regards,

Jerry

I think enough is said on the matter in this thread. And now super moderator Paul D is going to ask the Russian diggers to post their authority for Metal detecting?
    This is not a war relic forum, without diggers and detectors there are no relics.

?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    I think enough is said on the matter in this thread. And now super moderator Paul D is going to ask the Russian diggers to post their authority for Metal detecting?
    This is not a war relic forum, without diggers and detectors there are no relics.
    Don't you think that has been done already ? Everyone who posts here is asked the same questions either on the threads or by PM , if they can't / won't amswer the questions they are banned and the threads removed but many thanks for your advice on how to moderate the forum !!

Maybe if the museum in Canada was aware of the fact that the markers may have been recovered and exported illegally then they might reconsider their own involvement.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Maybe if the museum in Canada was aware of the fact that the markers may have been recovered and exported illegally then they might reconsider their own involvement.
    At one time this was a commonplace occurrence, but in this day and age they could not accept these without fear of an international scandal taking place.

Sadly, I think the best place for these grave markers would be in a Canadian Museum, but it cannot be done in this manner.
    Regards,

Jerry

Did anyone save the images posted in this thread of the grave markers?
    Regards,

Jerry

I just realize Feuerbach has been banned.
    For what i know,there is a "gentleman agreement" here in France,beetween the diggers and the police,mainly in the small villages ,where everybody knows everybody.
    Problems are coming with guys from the city,who come and dig sometimes on historic sites(i mean,sites knowed from the official archeologists) and ruin the soil .
    These guys are sometimes the victims of a suddent will of the administration,to strike these diggers ,and these guys find their names in the tabloids,with a huge fine to pay.
    You have also the black diggers,they do it for the money,and they earn a looooy of money sometimes.At a point,they are knowed from everybody,and denunced to the police.
    But as Feuerbach wrote,if you stay silent,cool,and that you ask the permissions,and that you work for the preservation of the ww2 souvenir,you hardly find troubles.
    My question,and there is no sarcasm in : all the diggers from the East,do you believe that they are all clean?
    I firmly believe that Feuerbach was banned because he found grave markers,and that it makes this forum uncomfortable with an hypothetic reaction from the Canadian gov.But i may be wrong.

He was banned because he appears to be acting against French law and has illegally exported WWI artifacts to Canada. what he found was of great importance, but once he had identified them as being from either of the wars he should have handed them into the local authorities or local bodies in charge of such material. If he had done so and they decided it was OK for him to do with them as he wished, then that would have been fine, but he did not appear to have done that and has instead sent them to Canada.

As far as the east front diggers, the same questions are asked of them and illegal digging is not condoned on this forum regardless of where it takes place.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast