MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Check out this bunker!

Article about: Was in the South of France last week, and a mate of mine told me about a German bunker not far from his house that still had the guns mounted. Reason enough to go and check the place out! In

Default Check out this bunker!

Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!Check out this bunker!
    Was in the South of France last week, and a mate of mine told me about a German bunker not far from his house that still had the guns mounted. Reason enough to go and check the place out!
    Indeed there are some very nice bunkers hidden away against the rock, some even with tunnels going into the moutains that I geuss were used as munition storage.
    The bunkers are part of the Südwall, and I'm told these bunkers at Narbonne beach were part of the AOK15, Russian soldiers in German service.
    I know the pictures are not to clear, but has anybody have a clue what the guns are? They look to me as they were removed from French (Renault?) tanks. Seems to be 60mm, with lots of brass parts. Just don't seem to be German to me.
    Around the bunkers we could still find the original German poles and barbwire!
    The guns are to heavy and bulky for my collection (just kidding, they should stay where they are!).
    Love the rock camo, blends in nicely with the landscape and the mountains they are built against.

?

Default Re: Check out this bunker!

Nice find! There are surprisingly quite a few German bunkers with guns still in situ – I have seen a few in Brittany particularly and then of course there are a few in well-known ones in Normandy. Not sure what the gun is, but it has obviously been demolished – I note the new “barrel” seems to be a piece of scaffolding pole? amazing it did not do more damage to the canopy of the emplacement. As you say – unusual rocky camouflage too.

?

Very interesting i've been to the Narbonne area a few time but had no idea that there was still anything miltary still around !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Very cool feature to have near your house. I would've loved growing up near there

I reckon that little pee shooter pipe could be a little smaller than originally intended.