Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cold War ejection seat relic

Article about: Just rescued this from a local paint ball site. Apparently it was in perfect condition when it was tied to the tree twenty years ago. Needs a little tlc now...

?

Default Cold War ejection seat relic

Just rescued this from a local paint ball site. Apparently it was in perfect condition when it was tied to the tree twenty years ago. Needs a little tlc now...Cold War ejection seat relicCold War ejection seat relicCold War ejection seat relic

I wonder where this came from???????

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

From what i can make out a MK 3a seat was fitted to Valiant bombers!..

?

Yes, 1955 vintage with a modified 'between the legs' lower handle fitted, there were some straps and buckles in the leaf mould in the pan too.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    I wonder where this came from???????

John
    Hi John,

It's a MB Mk 3A seat that was fitted in the Vickers Valiant one of the three V bombers in service after the war. Here's a couple of shots of one at RAF Cosford down the road from me. I don't think this type was used in any other aircraft.

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: You got there first this time Gooney!

Cold War ejection seat relicCold War ejection seat relic
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Cheers Ned and Gunny, my first thought was Victor as it's not Vulcan (sat on one now) and has arm rests, so bomber. The '55 date threw me whilst looking in the wood. As you say, unique to Valiants. Now the fun of removing the roots, grime and tiny livestock. It still has the gun and rail attached so is a challenge to move.

Nice piece, I had one very similar which I recently sold as I’m selling up, well done for rescuing it! Anything else interesting at the paintball place?
    Regards Mad.ideas

?

Cheers Mr.ideas. The owner had pointed out the seat but I don't think there was anything else about, apart from the very mouldy Whirlwind helicopter it arrived in (bought from the museum at Rhoose airport when it closed, seat found inside).
    I've managed to get the launch rail and gun free and found the aircraft serial number painted on the back. Here she was in happier days:
    WZ380 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cold War ejection seat relic