Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Conserving/Restoration..

Article about: Rick , being honest isnt the issue, your entitled to your opinion but the way you express your opinion was to say the least , rather insulting to the members here who have devoted hundreds o

?

Default Re: Conserving/Restoration..

Rick , being honest isnt the issue, your entitled to your opinion but the way you express your opinion was to say the least , rather insulting to the members here who have devoted hundreds of hours in the recovery and preservation of the items theyve found and yet i still dont see an outright apology for your comments, im certain that would be more welcome than an "excuse" for your comments, what do you think?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I think you do have a valid point in what you say, but i think that you completely 'buggered it up' by the way you said it. Although I don't work as one now, my professional training, that is, my degree, is in archaeology (or more specifically, archaeological science), and conservation is something i have professionally studied. As a result of this, I have all kinds of reservations about metal detecting in general, the keeping of proper records of finds, the level of skill on artefact conservation, the way the digging is done, the morality of destroying an archaeological site for collecting purposes, and so on....

However, as long as it is done legally, it's also none of my business, and because of this it is, i think, inappropriate and unreasonable, to attack anyone for doing it, and if the subject needs to be brought up, it has to be done politely. If it isn't, you just cause either a conflict, or everyone to ignore you.

Rob
    I agree totaly with you Rob!
    I often see the word"restoration" misused..but one is intitle to do what ever he wants to his own objects.
    Cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I also want to ad that I have seen some exeptional marvelous restorations !!!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well.... where do I start?

I only just saw this thread and wished I hadn't. Who are you to criticize who does what to things THEY find. I someone recovers something in there time, with there research and using there effort and they break it. Surely its there loss and got nothing to do with you? On top of that (yes this thread wound me up) if they wanted to break things on purpose then surely its theirs and they should be allowed without prejudice from anyone, not that anyone here would break anything on purpose!

A very unimpressed little Mouse!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2