Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

D-day airborne crickets from sainte-mere-eglise

Article about: I would like to know what a cricket is I have tried to figure out what this is and how it could be used - but I have given up...

HVK
    ?

Default Re: D-day airborne crickets from sainte-mere-eglise

I would like to know what a cricket is I have tried to figure out what this is and how it could be used - but I have given up...

Quote by HVK View Post
    I would like to know what a cricket is I have tried to figure out what this is and how it could be used - but I have given up...
    The cricket were use by the US paratroopers on D-day they were a toy made in England.the cricket were given to every paratrooper to know who was on the other side of a field it made a cliking sound you clik 2 times and they clik 3 times the ones I have are missing the blade.

A cricket was a small metal device ( the ones Chris pictured) that made the sounds of a cricket. They were handed out to American soldiers and paratroopers during D-Day, so they could communicate and locate each other.

Very nice finds, Chris

Regards,
    Finn

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    A cricket was a small metal device ( the ones Chris pictured) that made the sounds of a cricket. They were handed out to American soldiers and paratroopers during D-Day, so they could communicate and locate each other.

Very nice finds, Chris

Regards,
    Finn
    Hi Rommel1942 would you know the value of those crickets.I like those helmets

I'm sure everyone remembers from the movie, The Longest Day, where a US Soldier was using his cricket, he did the first part, and he got a response, but it was not what he was wanting, it was a German soldier loading his Mauser K-98, and the GI got shot, does anyone know if this really happened, or was that all Hollywood hype, and made up B.S.

Brian

HVK
    ?

Thank you for the info... :-)

Hey Chris,

I honestly have no idea how much they are worth. Sorry!

Regards,
    Finn

WWII collector
    ?

thats pretty cool! i have a replica one though

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    I'm sure everyone remembers from the movie, The Longest Day, where a US Soldier was using his cricket, he did the first part, and he got a response, but it was not what he was wanting, it was a German soldier loading his Mauser K-98, and the GI got shot, does anyone know if this really happened, or was that all Hollywood hype, and made up B.S.

Brian
    Yes and no,I was told by a vet the part in the movie the longest day was not true, but there was 3 cases where the paratroopers though it was there boys and it was not and got into a shoot-out.

D-day airborne crickets from sainte-mere-egliseD-day airborne crickets from sainte-mere-eglise

The one in the picture #2 is one I donated to the Museum In Sainte mere eglise years ago.
    the first one is one I found about 3 years ago.
    chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast