Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

Article about: this is amazing ! Next to the little tree is the "Artillerie-beobachtungs-Stelle" where the soldiers called "Frerking" and "Fack" observed the beach. They sent

Thank you for the pictures Ottoh.
    chris

Heinrich

Thank you Michel,I should have thought about it.
    chris

?

Like others, i am glad that the whole story of that fateful morning 69 years ago is being illustrated too the next generation.

When i was a 10 year old boy, i 'loaned' a canon ball to our local museum who promptly lost it amongst their collection. I now know it was from our artillery troop from 1810-30, but the then curator was not interested in any thing other than 'social history' (start of lefty rant).

Chris please preserve your finds, but also the fact that as a child it was your playground so you probably explored more than the 'experts'.

Paul

in France, it's hard to give a piece to a museum, this year the Army Museum in Paris sent me papers if I want to give us items. 4 pages to fill, after I send the document to the Museum and they give me a reply one year later...I put the papers to the bin!

Quote by kfssir View Post
    Like others, i am glad that the whole story of that fateful morning 69 years ago is being illustrated too the next generation.

When i was a 10 year old boy, i 'loaned' a canon ball to our local museum who promptly lost it amongst their collection. I now know it was from our artillery troop from 1810-30, but the then curator was not interested in any thing other than 'social history' (start of lefty rant).

Chris please preserve your finds, but also the fact that as a child it was your playground so you probably explored more than the 'experts'.

Paul
    Thank you Paul.
    I will preserve my finds.
    You are correct about experts.
    chris

?

You keep them Chris, my friend used to do battle tours and before the Merville Batteries was made into a museum he was on site when certain areas were being cleaned up by a French team, he literally fell over a relic Bren gun in long grass, he managed to get it home but when the museum opened he donated it to them, its still there and is on permanent display but there is no mention of where, when or by whom it was found, one of his mates had to pee so he found a quiet area and found he was peeing on a German belt buckle, which he kept, these museums have very little regard for a persons donation, the Imperial War Museum in London has vaults full of items that will never see the light of day,besides which your barrels hold more in the way of an historical event and a story than most other displays in a museum

I had the same thing happen to me ,I was driving in the woods with a friend in Meuse Argonne,told him to stop for me to take a piss
    I end up pissing on two German rifles a bayonet and a large number of those german grenades.
    chris

?

Its amazing, if I ever go for a leak in the woods, all I end up peeing on is sheep and fox shit!!!!!!!

Quote by davejb View Post
    Its amazing, if I ever go for a leak in the woods, all I end up peeing on is sheep and fox shit!!!!!!!
    That was a lucky piss for me Dave.
    chris

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast