Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

Article about: this is amazing ! Next to the little tree is the "Artillerie-beobachtungs-Stelle" where the soldiers called "Frerking" and "Fack" observed the beach. They sent

Default Re: D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

lenght of the Barrel is 53 .
    Yes I found 2 at the same location.The other one is still in storage in France Still trying to get the rest of my stuff back to the States.The one in the picture I put it in my suitcase and made it home luck.But I still took pictures of the stuff I still have there ,so here the pictures.I Aslo tryed to find a closer pictures of the location but no luck but will keep looking.They are the same size. I forgot but I did find the belt bucket that came with the pouch but it is in bad condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.   D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.  

Last edited by cricketchris1944; 06-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.

O.S. Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

The story alone is fantastic (although chilling). To be able to tie it to actual artifacts is amazing. Well done to both of you.

Martyn.

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    O.S. Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

The story alone is fantastic (although chilling). To be able to tie it to actual artifacts is amazing. Well done to both of you.

Martyn.
    Orangsoldier was a great source of info.

Hey cricketchris1944 ,

Can you please give more information about when exactly (!) you found this stuff?
    Please tell me all you know about how you found it and all that....
    Each detail of information can be very important !

best wishes,
    0.S.

Quote by OrangSoldier View Post
    Hey cricketchris1944 ,

Can you please give more information about when exactly (!) you found this stuff?
    Please tell me all you know about how you found it and all that....
    Each detail of information can be very important !

best wishes,
    0.S.
    I found the items in May of 1984,the area was being clean up for the 40th anniversary of D-day.The items were covered by barwire.all of them were on the top of the ground.

This is a great thread the barrels that you have found are as far as I can see quite an important part of history as they have a story behind them, thanks to OrangSoldier for sharing his knowledge of the history about where you found the barrels

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    This is a great thread the barrels that you have found are as far as I can see quite an important part of history as they have a story behind them, thanks to OrangSoldier for sharing his knowledge of the history about where you found the barrels

Thanks

Danny
    Orangsoldier was very helful,the info that he gave me really put everything together.I am going to put them in a display case with the some pictures that Orangsoldier send me to and the info about them.

For some reason, I got up this Morning and was thinking about this relic.This is not just a artifact or a militaria item but really a big piece of history .
    I have to preserve this items for future generations.I really should have one of them put in a museum.

hey cricketchris !

I contacted the author of the books I got the information from. His name is Helmut Freiherr Konrad von Keusgen. I already met him before.
    He highly doubts that it is the MG-barrel of Hein Severloh.

The reasons are these:
    You say it was found 15 years ago. Mr.Keusgen has been there frequently, especially in the 90s, because he has a house in Colleville. And he never saw any changes or even holes in the ground there.

You say you found 2 MG-barrels. Hein had two barrels. One of them he took with him when he fled in the afternoon.
    He left two carbines K98 and one MG-42 barrel.
    So it is only possible to find one MG-barrel.

Did you know that it is strictly forbidden to dig on US-ground? (WN62 is in possession of the United States of America)

It would be extremely helpful if you could give more information about your finds.
    What exactly did you find? And can you provide us with some more pictures?

Mr. Keusgen also has a museum about the WN62 and the story of Hein Severloh.
    I guess he would be very pleased to be able to expose some of your finds.

best wishes,
    0.S.
    Last edited by OrangSoldier; 09-07-2010 at 05:14 PM.

They were found during the first 2 weeks of May 1984.I am 100% sure of the date because the area was being cleanning up because 0f the 40th anniversary of D-day because the area was just totaly over taken by tall grasses and trees.The location of the relics is to the right in front of the small bunker about 20 feets all artifacts were on the top under German barwire.they starded to clean a pass from the Engineer monument stowards the VVF houses.this is how I found they ,the first item was a shell from one of the canons A total of 75 were found but in very bad condition.2 barrels were found there.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast