Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

Article about: this is amazing ! Next to the little tree is the "Artillerie-beobachtungs-Stelle" where the soldiers called "Frerking" and "Fack" observed the beach. They sent

Default Re: D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

This may be the first post that has 7 pages and i read each and every post two times... Normandy beaches are in my check list for WW2 sighseeing! Although this invasion had nothing to do with the war my country fought (except the general image of defeating Nazism ofcourse) it always fascinated me for some reason... Since i was a little boy i was making images in my head of US soldiers approaching the shores on that morning of June under grey clouds and big waves on their LCTs... I think that Saving Private Ryan and the video game Medal of Honor Frontline (that were both great hits when my intrest in WW2 begun) have played a great role in creating vivid images of these events!
    I think that if i ever manage to visit the beaches i could easily spent a day just laying there watcing the cliffs and the bunkers and imagining that morning on the 6th of June...

These mental images and the information given here are just shocking... Thanks to all providing such hard- to- find informations for one of the greatest events of the Second World War.

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    This may be the first post that has 7 pages and i read each and every post two times... Normandy beaches are in my check list for WW2 sighseeing! Although this invasion had nothing to do with the war my country fought (except the general image of defeating Nazism ofcourse) it always fascinated me for some reason... Since i was a little boy i was making images in my head of US soldiers approaching the shores on that morning of June under grey clouds and big waves on their LCTs... I think that Saving Private Ryan and the video game Medal of Honor Frontline (that were both great hits when my intrest in WW2 begun) have played a great role in creating vivid images of these events!
    I think that if i ever manage to visit the beaches i could easily spent a day just laying there watcing the cliffs and the bunkers and imagining that morning on the 6th of June...

These mental images and the information given here are just shocking... Thanks to all providing such hard- to- find informations for one of the greatest events of the Second World War.
    Thank you for your post.
    It is a great place to visit,with a lot of history.
    chris

Jan
    ?

Personally I would welcome a professional archaeological excavation of this site. Any ideas on why it hasn´t been done?

Digging for victory - D-Day Treasures - YouTube

Cheers,

Jan

Quote by Jan View Post
    Personally I would welcome a professional archaeological excavation of this site. Any ideas on why it hasn´t been done?

Cheers,

Jan
    There is no professional archaeological excavation in France dealing with WW1 or WW2 only individuals for fun.
    There is teams that deals with bodies but that it.
    The site will never be excavated professionaly maybe in 200 years .
    chris

Jan
    ?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    There is no professional archaeological excavation in France dealing with WW1 or WW2 only individuals for fun.
    There is teams that deals with bodies but that it.
    The site will never be excavated professionaly maybe in 200 years .
    chris
    What a great shame. If you are right most will be gone by then

Best,

Jan

Quote by Jan View Post
    What a great shame. If you are right most will be gone by then

Best,

Jan
    The condition of the area been so close to the sea and the Normandy weather makes things hard to stay in good condition.
    Most of the item that I found at the location came a part .
    I only keep the stuff that could be save.
    chris

Jan
    ?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    The condition of the area been so close to the sea and the Normandy weather makes things hard to stay in good condition.
    Most of the item that I found at the location came a part .
    I only keep the stuff that could be save.
    chris
    Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jan

Quote by Jan View Post
    Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jan
    Thank you Jan
    chris

?

D-day Omaha beach MG barrel found.

mpw
    ?

In 2008 proper archaeological excavations were carried out just inland of Gold beach in the two well-defended points of higher ground, known as Point 54 and Herod's Well, and finally an artillery battery even further from the coast. These were the objectives of the 1st Dorset Regiment who were in the first wave that morning.

Mark.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast