Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it dangerous ?

Article about: Exactly...something very similar, in any case, and with the same purpose. I assume that the knurled knob unscrews from the tube and has the pin attached to it? No idea as to what Nationality

Exactly...something very similar, in any case, and with the same purpose. I assume that the knurled knob unscrews from the tube and has the pin attached to it? No idea as to what Nationality or age, but it certainly looks to be an oiler bottle to Me.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

What size are other oil bottles ?

There is a section for items such as this, the battlefield archaeology forum. I have moved your thread there as it stands a better chance of being IDd.

Always remember when posting ground dug items that we will need the area and context in which it was found. For example, the depth of the find can indicate the age of an object. If it is found at the same depth as known WW2 items, it is a safe bet it is therefore from WW2.

Please also remember the golden rule when digging any military relic. If you cannot be 100% certain, (and I mean 100%, not 95%), that what you have found is 'safe', leave it alone and call the authorities. No relic is worth a finger, hand, arm, foot, leg or life.

?

Problem with this site is that is 50 years used as recreational area, park or whatever ... 200x100m
    Lot's of history over there but it can be new stuff from construction of buildings close by or visitation after 1950.
    As for depth... don't remember as it was not IDd early... erosion and wood roots ... up to 15 cm I guess as all else.

I was reading Sticky threads about dangers and then decided to post.

I would give it a gentle clean to remove all the mud and dirt. This will expose any markings on the object which may give a clue to its use.

Looking at the pictures, there is some evidence that it was attached to another object, (the dark rectangular area on one side), which would count against it being an oiler bottle.

Clean it first and post another pic

Doesn't look like an oil canister to me; there's a iron pin sticking out the bottom. Wouldn't that make it leak? Looks more like some sort of delay fuse to me.

?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Doesn't look like an oil canister to me; there's a iron pin sticking out the bottom. Wouldn't that make it leak? Looks more like some sort of delay fuse to me.
    That was my first ID ...
    There is no marking on it ...
    Only tip of pin is sticking to magnet, maybe it is not brass but something similar.
    Pin is only on surface... I think it is not from inside at all - not from screw

Is it dangerous ?
    Is it dangerous ?
    Is it dangerous ?
    Is it dangerous ?

My advice is not to pick up any items from the battlefields when you are not 100% sure what it really is. I do not know what item it is and I hope it is a safe one but there have been many accidents when people pick up unknown items and try to open them.

?

Looks like one of these "weights"on the old tall "Grandfathers" clocks.

Have you unscrewed the knurled knob or is it frozen?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast