Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it dangerous ?

Article about: Exactly...something very similar, in any case, and with the same purpose. I assume that the knurled knob unscrews from the tube and has the pin attached to it? No idea as to what Nationality

?

Waiting to see if it can go boom
    I have used WD-40 so I wait few more hours...

?

Cleaning it is one thing but trying to open an object that no one has been able to ID, but is from a site where other WW2 objects have been found is ,in my opinion, inviting trouble, take a step back and think seriously as to your next course of action,many people have done exactly what you are about to attempt and not lived to regret it, your decision!!!!!!!

?

I can understand your concern, I am also there but looking at size of this object ...
    little bit larger than a bullet casing.

It is not artillery shell or hand granade.

I am not going to open it untill I am convinced what it is... I am not that dumb
    It is not oil canister and not grandfathers clock part.

?

True ,but it could be a live fuse of some description, it would still be enough to spoil your day,there are enough guys on here who have access to nearly every type of fuse that was made and all sorts of other items of equipment that may lead to an ID

Well, if it is just a little bit larger than a bullet casing You will just loose your fingers or some of them if it really is not an oil can but for example a detonator. And of course you can be blind or half blind till the end of your life.

People, please think a little bit before you pick up something from the battlefield and bring it at home. Not only because it is stupied and illegal but because it can be very dangerous. For example I saw some years ago a photo from the diggers forum with "silver sticks" somebody found and carried home. Actually these "sticks" were detonators - not enough to kill you but enough to blow away your fingers. And this guy also asked like "I found these interesting items, i will try to open the tube".

?

From the shape on the side, it may be a lighter with the flint striker assembly missing.
    Small hole on the top for a wick, knurled cap at the bottom for filling the fuel...

Interesting theory,Paul! I think you've got it nailed! It would make sense, that the bottom knob was knurled to open and refill it through. The stub on the other end could well be the remains of the wick insert assembly. The marking on the edge of the tube is quite likely where the striker wheel with the flint and spring were. Now that I look at it, it sure does look like the remains of a lighter. The stub, as said, is, no doubt, the insert where the wick went. Good Call!

Note the similarities of the lighter pictured below. It is a WWI era trench lighter. You can see where the striker wheel is soldered onto the tube-but with the posted example, this part is missing. Beneath the brass cap on the one pictured here is the wick insert-but, again, the original posted item is missing this bit.

Is it dangerous ? Is it dangerous ?
    Last edited by Wagriff; 09-04-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

On bottom of my "object" there is indication of something being there
    like in this picture...
    Is it dangerous ?
    This sleeve comes off in this model.

IMCO lighters - Austria
    IMCO Lighters

one more example
    Is it dangerous ?
    Last edited by sdesic; 09-05-2013 at 08:33 AM.

At least you know it's not going to blow your head off now, anyway!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

If people with metal detectors would leave anything that is unknown or call authorities for everything that might be of any kind of danger...
    it wouldn't be any hobby left

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast