Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Darwin Area

Article about: Good Day, What a pleasure it is to find this thread. I've made its existence known to the folks that run the 380th Bomb Group Association. Those are the folks that flew B-24's out of Fenton,

?

Default Re: Darwin Area

Good Day,

What a pleasure it is to find this thread. I've made its existence known to the folks that run the 380th Bomb Group Association. Those are the folks that flew B-24's out of Fenton, Long and Darwin during WWII.

Much can be found at WE WENT TO WAR - 380th Bombardment Group (H) (WWII), or, do a search on "380th+Fenton" and you will find tons of stuff.

?

Wow thankyou very much.... I have more photos of that particular aircraft crash which is near Mandoorah, on the other side of Darwin harbour. I beleive the crew were killed in that crash and the wreckage is left as a memorial. It is one of those places you need to know where it is to find it, even though it is close to Darwin, it is fairly hard to get to (4WD access) I will post more pics tommorow of that particular site.

Thanks for your thread and the heads up on this lot. My Wife has been pushing me to take the drive Melbourne - Darwin, looks like it may happen

?

I did Darwin Melbourne a couple of years ago when I was posted here, it's a good run. Like I said once your on the stuart highway in the territory, look out for the signs on the road. you got staging area sites at Banka Banka, elliot and adelaide river. If you get the chance take the turn off to "Churchills Head" Its a rock formation on the side of the old stuart highway that the soldiers in the convoys thought looked like churchills silohuett, they even stuck a tree trunk in its mouth for a cigar, will post a pic of that tommorow as well.

Quote by qotd View Post
    I did Darwin Melbourne a couple of years ago when I was posted here, it's a good run. Like I said once your on the stuart highway in the territory, look out for the signs on the road. you got staging area sites at Banka Banka, elliot and adelaide river. If you get the chance take the turn off to "Churchills Head" Its a rock formation on the side of the old stuart highway that the soldiers in the convoys thought looked like churchills silohuett, they even stuck a tree trunk in its mouth for a cigar, will post a pic of that tommorow as well.
    Cheers Mate

?

Pics of 380th B24J in 2007[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Lest We Forget
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Darwin Area   Darwin Area  

Darwin Area  

?

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Darwin Area   Darwin Area  

Darwin Area  

?

Churchills head...... a rocky outcrop troops in convoys thought looked like Winston......I have seen lots of period photos with diggers posing with it[IMG][/IMG]

?

Daly Waters Airfield.
    And a B25 at a roadside fuel station, I beleive recovred from Gorrie Airfield.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Darwin Area   Darwin Area  

?

The Aircraft at Daly Waters is a Dakota, the other fuselage I am not too sure about

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast