Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A day to be remembered or forgotten?

Article about: Last Monday completed 74 years the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, one of the most painful days of American History. I share with you here a link that brings a collection of dramatic photos

Moreover, if one wants to exercise the question as to why the USA joined the war in 1941 versus in an earlier year, that is a legitimate historical question.
    The comment, however, was not made in that spirit or in search of such a cause and effect. The same issue applies as to 1917 versus the year 1914.
    I was once asked by a group of old social democrats in Saarbruecken around the fiftieth anniversary of Hitler's coming to power as why the US had not invaded
    Germany in 1933 to save them from the Nazis. It was a legitimate question, but my colleagues did not especially like or understand the answer.
    Some of us on this site take the study of the past very seriously, and regard it as a legitimate discipline of advanced learning. The past can easily be used by those
    in search of a sharp weapon that cuts and bruises. I have spent exactly forty five years learning how to answer these questions, and answering them in a professional
    setting, where I am held to account for the quality of what I say and write. That some of us have endeavored to apply the same standards here is a cause of great
    unhappiness among those who want to vent their anger here along with the tens and hundreds of millions doing the same thing.

If someone is seriously interested in the topic, I can suggest many, many good books to read on the subject.

Sad fact today that more and more debate about nations, conflict, society, and the international system of states is falling down the crapper.

CBH
    ?

As alway FB beautifully put , you are truly a Wordsmith .

Quote by CBH View Post
    As alway FB beautifully put , you are truly a Wordsmith .
    Why, thank you. Do let me say that I am rather more engaged with these things than some others, and I am always aware of my duties.

The special relationship is a hobby horse of mine, as are US European relations rather more generally.

The bad feeling eventuating over Suez in 1956 as well as the premature end of Lend Lease and so forth makes for a very long list, to which no one can overlook the fate of Bluestreak and the cancellation of Skybolt....all riveting examples in this story understood by very few.

My approach to it is through scholarship and as little hyperbole as possible.

Read this book by this very, very fine historian. A day to be remembered or forgotten?

A day to be remembered or forgotten?A day to be remembered or forgotten?or, from a century earlier, and now utterly forgotten....

"....Simultaneously, Rear Admiral Andrei Popov received orders to lead Russia’s Pacific squadron to San Francisco. By the end of October 1863, the Bogatir, Kalevala, Rinda, Abrek, and Gaidamak were safely anchored in San Francisco Bay. The new arrivals immediately endeared themselves to San Franciscans when they helped put out a major fire in the center of the city. Like his counterpart in New York, Popov was to “be strictly neutral” unless Confederate raiders were to threaten the civilian population..."

A moment in connection with all of this, which retains its importance....

Singing the Dream: American Sheet Music at the British Library Part 3 – 'Race Slavery and Abolition', Eccles Centre for American Studies web exhibition
    Britain and the American Civil War (Wikipedia article)
    Adams, E. D., Great Britain and the American Civil War (London, 1925)
    Blackett, R. J. M., Divided Hearts: Britain and the American Civil War (Baton Rouge, 2001)
    Bourne, Kenneth, 'British Preparations for War with the North, 1861-1862', The English Historical Review, 76 (1961), pp. 600–632
    Campbell, Duncan Andrew, English Public Opinion and the American Civil War (Rochester, 2003)
    Crawford, Andrew, The Anglo-American Crisis of the Nineteenth Century: the Times and America (1987)
    Crook, D. P., The North, the South and the Powers (1974)
    Ellison, Mary, Support for Secession: Lancashire and the American Civil War (1972)
    Foreman, Amanda, A World on Fire: an Epic History of Two Nations Divided (2010)
    Jones, Howard, Blue & Gray Diplomacy: a History of Union and Confederate Foreign Relations, 1861-1865 (Chapel Hill, 2010)
    May, Robert E., ed., The Union, the Confederacy and the Atlantic Rim (West Lafeyette, 1995)
    McPherson, James M., Battle Cry of Freedom: the Civil War era (1988 and later editions)
    Owsley, Frank Lawrence, King Cotton Diplomacy: Foreign Relations of the Confederate States of America (Chicago, 1931)
    'Uncle Tom’s Cabin' & American Culture.

CBH
    ?

Luckily I'm Canadian , and thus I have a special view of the US European affairs . A Ring side seat if you will .
    I read a rather frighting article today in Psychology Today , on Anti-Intellectualism in America , seem soon all
    will be forgotten except sports scores and celebrity gossip . Please keep up the Good Fight

Cheers Chris

Quote by CBH View Post
    Luckily I'm Canadian , and thus I have a special view of the US European affairs . A Ring side seat if you will .
    I read a rather frighting article today in Psychology Today , on Anti-Intellectualism in America , seem soon all
    will be forgotten except sports scores and celebrity gossip . Please keep up the Good Fight

Cheers Chris

I am doing the best I can, but am not especially sanguine about the undertaking. In my space, however, when persons manifest a knuckle dragging celebration of idiocy,
    I pour on the fire. Of that you can be very certain. Much of US-Canadian relations have been a subset of US-GB and or UK relations as I have touched on them above.
    The reality of the past is laden with conflict, but we here do not have to add to it so that we can no longer ask questions together in a collegial way.

Quote by CBH View Post

Cheers Chris

For your reflection on the issues at hand, a fundamental text and my contribution to the issue.

and more recent, but also very sound for this issue.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast