Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 39 of 97 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast

Digging in KURLAND

Article about: And this is short documentary about how we dug out Grossdeutchland soldiers.

?

Default Re: Digging in KURLAND

Digging in KURLAND

Our base ona farm on my last trip to Kurland
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Digging in KURLANDDigging in KURLAND

Cemetery for the Lithunanian Divison of the Red Army !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

nice picture HAPY NEW YEAR BOYS
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging in KURLAND  

Well, Latvia and Estonia are nice places but if You tell me You plan a 4h per day relic hunting trip it is just a joke! These trips last for 2-3 days minimum and you have to be in the forest and swamp from the very early morning (then it is still not too hot) till the sunset. And belive me - if You are a cityboy (as I'm) You will be tried as a dog after 3-4 hours in Estonian or Latvian forest and swamps.

If You plan to go by Yourself - it is up to You of course. But what will You do if You will find some live ammo? Bring it with You? Or just make a picture or a movie? And what will you do if You are driving back from the forest and police will find Your camera with pictures of that ammo? And it will not be a road police but a deffence police. It is not a joke - in Estonia we have some black diggers in jail for the same reason. So think twice before You will do something really stupid.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, Latvia and Estonia are nice places but if You tell me You plan a 4h per day relic hunting trip it is just a joke! These trips last for 2-3 days minimum and you have to be in the forest and swamp from the very early morning (then it is still not too hot) till the sunset. And belive me - if You are a cityboy (as I'm) You will be tried as a dog after 3-4 hours in Estonian or Latvian forest and swamps.

If You plan to go by Yourself - it is up to You of course. But what will You do if You will find some live ammo? Bring it with You? Or just make a picture or a movie? And what will you do if You are driving back from the forest and police will find Your camera with pictures of that ammo? And it will not be a road police but a deffence police. It is not a joke - in Estonia we have some black diggers in jail for the same reason. So think twice before You will do something really stupid.
    Good advice !!

1st July 1916

I looked through all of the pictures in this thread although without reading many of the text, and I find this incredible! I am simply amazed that after 70 years, there are still areas of untouched land with helmets and even the remains of soldiers laying on the surface of the earth, uncovered and untouched. I imagine lots of people dig around the areas that large battles occurred, and for this reason I am not only surprised that you have found so much, but also very jealous! Although I am highly inexperienced with this kind of thing, I can see the historical value of the items you have found, as well of the sentimental value of the soldiers whom you have helped lay to rest.

That being said, it would scare the living shit out of me if I found soldier's remains! Sadly, however, I have yet to go digging for battlefield relics given that I live in the US :P

Brilliant, I would love to come on a trip

?

Quote by Awesome View Post

That being said, it would scare the living shit out of me if I found soldier's remains! :P
    The big question for all those who are digging illegally or who think they can visit any country and just start digging away without any authority , what are you going to do if you find human remains ??

Before you contemplate digging in Eastern Europe etc where hundreds of thousands are MIA ask yourself this question !!

1st July 1916

For me it would be a very easy choice to inform the relevant authority in the case of finding remains. I would in fact be honoured to find one of the lost and give him back his name.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    For me it would be a very easy choice to inform the relevant authority in the case of finding remains. I would in fact be honoured to find one of the lost and give him back his name.
    As long as you are digging within the confines of the law , if a person are digging illegally will they reveal themselves as such to the authorities to declare remains that is the question !!

1st July 1916

Page 39 of 97 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast