Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Donations to the collection - Crashed B17 parts

Article about: Sorry, Im repeating myself, damn this laptop and all these buttons and flashing bits

Default Donations to the collection - Crashed B17 parts

Hi all

Over Christmas I received a large box full of bits recovered by an MDer from a location close to where a B17 came down late in 1943. When the kind gentleman told me I could have all the bits he'd collected, I didn't realise there would be so many !!!! Three large carrier bags full and some big chunks in the bottom of a plastic crate !

The guy had no great interest in WW2 stuff so kindly let me have these bits so that I may get some of it identified, and then make a display of the identifiable parts.

Here is the info I have on the aircraft from which these bits are supposed to have come from;

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

B-17G-10-DL 42-37774
    YB-N: 508th Bomb Squadron, 351st Bomb Group, RAF Polebrook.
    Originally assigned to 401BG while at Great Falls AAF, USA, transferred with crew to 351BG on arrival in UK, 21st November 1943.

31st December 1943:
    Fuel shortage on return from mission to Cognac forced crew to abandon aircraft over RAF Bassingbourn, aircraft crashed Whitwell, Herts.
    Pilot: Lt. Edward B. Apperson.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

I have started cleaning some of the bits but am yet to find any stamps with a Boeing mark on so I am yet to confirm that these are indeed B17 bits. There could be quite a few red herrings in amongst this lot so look closely !!

Any help with IDing any of these bits would be great. PB and 381st.......over to you !!!!

First up, the four piles of stuff I received.

I've cleaned some of the more, what I decided were, recognisable bits, despite not really recognising any myself ! However, I am sure PB or 381st or mossie will have an idea at what some of these bits are.

Very light alloy pieces. Reminds me of the radio operators 50cal MG mount.

A few 50cal cartridge cases. So far, these are the only things that I have that confirm it to be a USAAF crash site. All dated 1942/3, and all appear damaged in a fire. Two clearly went into the ground still in the links, and all five are missing the blast cap completely.

Chunks. No markings

A part with some kind of hinged joint. Part of a rudder foot pedal assembly maybe ?

A round thing with lugs on it.

Another round thing with a toothed edge and a bent thing with brass connectors at either end.

Many of the bits still have the paint clearly visible on them.

As does this bit. It is square in cross section and about 10 inches long with a bracket at one end. Lots of numbers stamped on this piece.

A couple more bits. Top item appears to be a clamp of some description, bottom bit is broken and missing quite a bit.

A couple of items that have stainless steel end pieces with a brass mid section. The stainless steel bits screw into the brass bit, possibly to tighten something up? Control cable maybe ?

This is quite a chunky part and one of the few bits with any numbers stamped on it.

This first stamp is probably the composition of the alloy....

....but this number seems more likely to be a part number.

Lots of little pieces......

A chunky bit of brass.

A cap off something. Only thing is is that it says 'made in England', so is this a red herring or did the B17 have some English gear on it ?

A damn sturdy turn buckle and another thing.

This looks to be the remains of a control knob of some type.

You can make out the pattern on what's left of the knob.

A couple more bits, one of which has some markings stamped on it, the other is a very odd shape !

Lastly, a large knurled knob and an apparently precision made item. Stainless steel rod with two brass wheels. My thoughts are probably miles off but...........runner for a turret ring ?

Anything you can ID please give me a shout

Sorry for using the word 'thing' a lot in the post, but most items will have to remain a 'thing' until ID'd

Steve T

?

Default Re: Donations to the collection - Crashed B17 parts

A lot of "things" there Steve.

I can see a fair number of easily recognisable bits, which I'll work through as best I can over the next few days.
    You have engine-related shock-mounts, structural framework connectors, etc. etc.

I may well have to come over and work through them one item at a time...

All the best,
    PB

Hi Steve, lots of goodies there.
    A few bits I can help with easily.
    The stainless steel rod with the brass wheels is part of an ammunition box the ammunition would run over this just before it entered the flexible tracking.
    The sturdy turn buckle is part of a gunners safety strap. Crew would have been hooked on to this and if the aircraft was ripped open it would hopefully stop them falling out.
    The hinged joint I think is part of a Cowl Flap Ring but I can't be 100%

Andy

Great stuff Thanks 381st So the ID of parts is up and running.....

PB - As you know, aircraft parts are an area of lesser knowledge for me. I can recognise big chunks, but bits like this I am guessing at most of the time I admit I am relying on yours and 381st's excellent knowledge of the B17 to ID 90% of these 'things' And you are more than welcome to come over and go through the stuff. You can even have an exclusive tour of the war room

The photo underneath the sentence "Many of the bits still have the paint clearly visible on them", with the tube with a metal ring around it comes from a cockpit window and would have had "replace silicone gel when pink" above it. The example I have is apparently a small window that could open on the pilots side to clear ice from the windscreen, though i've heard it wasn't on many planes.

Quote by johnphillips View Post
    The photo underneath the sentence "Many of the bits still have the paint clearly visible on them", with the tube with a metal ring around it comes from a cockpit window and would have had "replace silicone gel when pink" above it. The example I have is apparently a small window that could open on the pilots side to clear ice from the windscreen, though i've heard it wasn't on many planes.
    Hi John,
    I see where your coming from it does look similar but its not the same part. The part your talking about is made of plastic and round. The piece in the photo looks metal and square to me.

Andy

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Hi John,
    I see where your coming from it does look similar but its not the same part. The part your talking about is made of plastic and round. The piece in the photo looks metal and square to me.

Andy
    Ah! Thanks Andy, just had a look and you're completely right, it is plastic -jumped the gun...

In the 2nd photo down I spy an oxygen mask tube connection & a push rod cover from the front of a radial engine cylinder.
    Oxygen connection on the left and push rod cover on the right ( black tube )

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Donations to the collection - Crashed B17 parts  

Steve,
    Can I have a better photo of the oval shape piece in this photo.
    It looks like a ball turret foot pedal like the one you had a look at round my house that I found on a crash site. If it is its a great find.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Donations to the collection - Crashed B17 parts  

?

Quote by Steve T View Post

PB - As you know, aircraft parts are an area of lesser knowledge for me. I can recognise big chunks, but bits like this I am guessing at most of the time I admit I am relying on yours and 381st's excellent knowledge of the B17 to ID 90% of these 'things' And you are more than welcome to come over and go through the stuff. You can even have an exclusive tour of the war room
    Thats true, Steve can recognise the larger bits, they usually have wings and propellers, wheels, oh and guns sticking out, or am i being too sarcastic !!!!!!!!!, or is this the trend for 2013, the suspense is thrilling

- - Updated - -

Quote by Steve T View Post

Thats true, Steve can recognise the larger bits, they usually have wings and propellers, wheels, oh and guns sticking out, or am i being too sarcastic !!!!!!!!!, or is this the trend for 2013, the suspense is thrilling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast