MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Eifel Region

Article about: A recent visit to the hurtgen revealed some interesting finds including a strip of German MG clips, 30 cal rounds and remains of an American cold weather boot. All these items were found vis

Default Eifel Region

A recent visit to the hurtgen revealed some interesting finds including a strip of German MG clips, 30 cal rounds and remains of an American cold weather boot. All these items were found visible on the surface. The area has been scavanged by relic hunters but the area is so vast its still possible to find relics and ordnance throughout the forest. The area is well worth a visit with some remaining bunkers, military cemetaries(including Fd Marshall Models grave) and trenches across the wooded terrain.

The woods are beautiful but eerie. An incredibly difficult environment to fight with poor visibility and reduced communications.

PS I have details of an excellent local guide if anyone is interested in a guided tour. He is probably one of the best Hurtgen SMEs and can organise visits tailored to group needs

Rgds John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eifel Region   Eifel Region  

Eifel Region   Eifel Region  

?

Default Re: Eifel Region

Hello John, I visit the Hürtgen often too. The MG belt is in remarkable condition. They are usually very rusty and break when they are picked up. I live not to far away from the Hürtgen (about an hour or so). If those are surface finds you could really find some more interesting things when searching with a metal detector. If you are interested we could go there sometimes? I am also interested in the tour you are recommending. What is the fee to take this tour?

That creek in the second picture looks familiar to me. Is it the Schwarzenbroich creek? Offcourse many creeks in the Hürtgen look alike.