Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Few relics from Romania

Article about: Hi there, i'm a neo-digger from Romania, intrested in war relics coming from the romanian battlefields from the WW2. I started detecting few months ago, choosing as first spot to explore an

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    for some govements it to much trouble and expense to bother.
    It has nothing to do with Governments , both the German Volksbund and the Russian war Graves organisation are involved in seeking /recovering and reburying war dead , those are the organisations you need to be in contact with !!

?

You need to contact thei organisation and find out who is the representative for Romania and contact and liase with them !!

Volksbund.de

Quote by Paul D View Post
    You need to contact thei organisation and find out who is the representative for Romania and contact and liase with them !!

Volksbund.de
    I already drop them an email, i'll wait for their reply, or i'll write them once more.

Anyway, beside the M.I.A. german soldiers which could apply for the Volksbund program (by their romanian representative, if there is one), i was refering to the romanian M.I.A., and that is the point where the Goverments comes in.

I consider normal and legit that the government of one country would take care of their fallen soldiers, so that's the point of saying that it's a government duty, and that they don't do nothing because they want to avoid any expenses or works. The battle from that area (and also from others) was censored by the communist regime after the war, nothing about it in the history books, in schools or anywhere else. We all know that the russians weren't very preoccupied for their casualties, leaving them on the battlefield, but i tend to bealive that this approach won't work for all the involved sides. For the germans M.I.A. i hope to find a romanian Volksbund representative, but for the romanian ones, i want to obtain some attention and their recognition from the romanian authorities, government or whatever you want to call it.

I noticed also another thread started by a romanian digger, which had great results on another romanian battlefield (digging out lot of personal items), and also the results of a russian digger, working in the Stalingrad area, where he dug out a lot of romanian dog tags, almost clearly related to dead soldiers (he dug an area where the romanian forces were distroied...) so, what i want to say, is that there still are a lot of names waiting to get somehow home, or standing for proper burials.

I'm not into the fallen and missing soldiers recovery, i'm just intrested in history and metal detecting, but what i saw and found out in the place where i've done my first research, impressed me a bit. I don't want to start a crusade, but just try to do something, if possible.

?

Invest in a easy to use GPS. It will be of great help for the "volksbund" and you.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Invest in a easy to use GPS. It will be of great help for the "volksbund" and you.
    That's my next step, a Garmin 62s.

?

Now remember when you are starting to find stuff. These items belonged to someone who gave their life for some cause long gone and forgotten. Please threat everyone of them with respect, and never never see the "economical" part of metal detecting.
    I have been working for State museum for years, i never stole anything, in the end i was cleared to detect almost wherever i wanted to, and when i wanted to. Because they knew i love history, and will protect my/our heritage with beak and claws.

My pieces are now on display in museums, and i can still sleep well at night knowing i have secured pieces of history for our future children. It is a special feeling knowing when future historians read about my finds, they will read ""Found By"" and my name. It gives me a special feeling.

I hope you will be a famous and respected detectorist, one of the few not blinded by the money.

I have faith in you "ArkanBuc"- good luck.

Thank you for your kind reply. Now i think that could be proper to add an intimate touch to this discussion, in order to better locate myself regarding the matter that we are discussing and, why not, in order to somehow continue to present myself and background.

I come from a family where concepts as honor, duty and respect were presented to me since a very young age. My grandfather, from my dad's side (italian side) was a Decima MAS NP/Nuotatore Paracadutista (the italian WW2 frogmans). The grandfather from my mother's side (romanian) was a legionar under Corneliu Zelea Codreanu, after being sent to several communist death camps. My cousin has almost 10 years in the Foreing Legion, my uncle was a war journalist, he died on a battlefield in Mozambic in the '80. Now i'm a visual artist, working mostly with photography, but i would say that a certain kind of conduct was inoculated. So, since a child, i was taught that stealing and dishonesty were the worst and equal to lack of honor, and that was a the bottom line, avoid dishonor. So, to make it shorter, now i'm 34, and i would never even imagine the option to not act properly in a human remains situations. I can tell even more: when i see on ebay romanian dog tags which are readable, with visible id informations, i buy them with the hope to bring somehow back a piece of id, beaside of history. I've also tryed to trace some of the owners, or their family, considering that part of those tags comes from places like the eastern fron/Stalingrad, where the romanian suffered very heavy losses, but it's almost impossible to acces some registers, which would permit me to trace the tags. Somehow frustrating to know that they almost sure belong to some romanian K.I.A/M.I.A.

I add few more pics and details. One romanian Leu from 1939, found in a romanian trench, and one modified empty shellcase. I tryed to figure out what it was its use, considering that the bottom is clearly cutted and sealed..

Thank you all
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Few relics from Romania   Few relics from Romania  

Few relics from Romania   Few relics from Romania  

Few relics from Romania  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2