Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

Default A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

a few finds today from the site at a WW2 army camp. It was used by the Canadians as a pre D-Day staging post and as a demob centre post war, finally being demolished in the 60's. No detector today, just diggng around in a dump pit.

Given the Canadian link, pleased to find the Canadian button! Also shown are a couple of buckles, bakelite light fitting and a Crabtree bakelite/vitreous light switch, 1945 dated spoon with War Department arrow, and a couple of rifle round cases, a '43 dated .303 and a '43 dated .30 round, stamped RA (Remington Arms)

Does anyone know what the clamp to the left of the spoon is for as I keep finding them? It look like a clamp for a cable or wire perhaps, but don't know the application.

Cheers
    Matt
    A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Very nice finds Harry. I really love the spoon with WD arrow and date........puts it in context very nicely. Not sure what the clamp thingy is. Not seen anything like that before. You know what all the buckles are from ? Let me know if you don't and I'll re-post

Cheers

Steve T

?

The clamp appears to be for an electrical ground rod,or to fasten a ground wire to a water pipe.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Very nice finds Harry. I really love the spoon with WD arrow and date........puts it in context very nicely. Not sure what the clamp thingy is. Not seen anything like that before. You know what all the buckles are from ? Let me know if you don't and I'll re-post

Cheers

Steve T
    Hi Steve

assumed the buckles were off webbing, but would love to know exactly where from if you'd be so kind

cheers
    m

The two far left are 1937 pattern webbing brace attachment clip/buckle. Middle one is off 1937 pattern webbing. Last two I don't know I'm afraid

Hope that helps

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    The two far left are 1937 pattern webbing brace attachment clip/buckle. Middle one is off 1937 pattern webbing. Last two I don't know I'm afraid

Hope that helps

Steve T
    All four brass pieces are from the 1937 Brace Attachment:

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Rob

Thanks Rob

Very nice finds. I've just discovered a D-Day movement camp and this week intend to make my first dig at the dump site.

Great stuff! lovely finds Harry,looking forward to your next trip.
    Salzburg,i guess we'll get some great photos?.looking forward to your post

Thanks Steve & Rob for the info. One thing I have noticed with these and other buckles from the site are that they have been covered up with what I assume is black paint. Realise this was for concealment purposes when in combat as you don't want nice shiney brass buckles, but was was this "official" practice i.e was different webbing issued to troops about to go into a theatre of operations with blacked out buckles, or was this the guys doing it themselves?

Good luck with your dig Salzburg - look forward to seeing the photos. A great tool I have found for digging is to take an 8 month old German shpeherd dog with you - he helps clear a lot of soil when he gets goings and is available for rent at very reasonable rates

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast