Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were quite nice bottles and other ceramic items. The only intact item I found was a brylcreem bottle, unfortunately from the 1950's. I will have to go back and see if anything else survived but looks unlikely.
    A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Managed to get down to the camp again today, armed with a small pick and my latest toy, a Garrett pro-pointer, so just poking around one of the dump sites.

Nothing too spectacular - an old razor, couple of .303 rounds, webbing buckle and an enamel pot lid. I haven't cleaned up the .303's yet so so info on date stamps.

There are a few of items which I have not a clue what they are, namely the small horseshoe shaped item (which reminds me of a clip to hold mortar/shell in a packing crate maybe), the metal donut , the mystery metal bottle (no markings at all) and the odd metal item bottom left of the main picture and shown closeup in a separate pic.

anyone any ideas on the mystery item

ps - would highly recommend the Garrett pro-pointer - excellent bit of kit
    A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

?

The tin looks like a Brasso tin, The horseshoe shaped object ,could it be a metal boot heel

Quote by davejb View Post
    The tin looks like a Brasso tin, The horseshoe shaped object ,could it be a metal boot heel
    Thanks...hmm boot heel - you could well be right, but a bit less exciting than I thought . It will probably be clearer once i get around to cleaning it up

cheers
    m

Default Nice Canadian Army badge from WW2 camp site

managed to do a bit more poking around today for a hour or so and amongst the usual .303s and unidentifiable cr*p, I was well please with this very nice Canadian badge in the shape of a maple leaf.

Does any one know anything about this particular badge - was it a cap badge or something else?
    A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Nice finds. Agree on the Pro-pointer...... my new detecting best friend. Have used it in a couple of places and hardly used the detector at all. Billers

That's a nice General List cap badge dude...still in reasonable shape.

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    That's a nice General List cap badge dude...still in reasonable shape.
    Thanks very much for the id - is this WW1 vintage then - Canadian Expenditionary Force?? I wasn't aware that this site was in use in WW1 so if this is from that era then need to do some more research.

cheers

Quote by harry211 View Post
    Thanks very much for the id - is this WW1 vintage then - Canadian Expenditionary Force?? I wasn't aware that this site was in use in WW1 so if this is from that era then need to do some more research.

cheers
    Yes, the CANADA cap badge is definitely the WW1 pattern. There were two basically similar badges used in the Boer War and WW2, but that's the 1914 type, without a doubt

Rob

Yup...Rob's telling it like it is...

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast