Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Yes, the CANADA cap badge is definitely the WW1 pattern. There were two basically similar badges used in the Boer War and WW2, but that's the 1914 type, without a doubt

Rob
    Thats great Rob, thanks for the confirmation. I certainly need to research this site further as this is the first WW1 vintage item that I have found there - and what a great first find

Default Nice CEF 160th Infantry Battalion (Bruce) Button

The WW1 Canadian Expeditionary Force finds keep coming up. Nice ones seem to be rare but one of today's finds is a peach in my book.

There was the now usual .303 drill rounds, but was very pleased with this button from the 160th Overseas Battalion (Bruce) of the CEF.

What I have found out about them:

"Lt. Col. Adam Weir set about to recruit a Battalion of 1153 men from Bruce County with a population of 43,000, in December 1915. On October 14th, the Battalion entrained for Halifax and on October 17th, all were safely aboard H.M.T. METAGAMA. At that time the Battalion numbered 31 officers, 841 OR's. They arrived in Liverpool harbor about midnight October 27th.

For the next 15 months the Battalion trained around Witley Camp and Bramshott Camp. On Feb. 13th, 1918 orders were received for the 160th to furnish drafts of 100 men each to proceed to the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Canadian Pioneer Battalion, the remainder of the Battalion to be absorbed into the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion"

not sure how rare this item is, but very pleased

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

?

Cracking find!

Great find !

Default Re: Nice Canadian Army badge from WW2 camp site

Excellent find and to connect it to a group that where on your site is fantastic

another couple of small finds today - more inspection rounds and another button - just a General Service one this time, and what looks like an ink bottle . Do quite like the clip of drill rounds as one still has the remains of the what appears to be a wooden bullet.

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Only the one button keep up matey. but on a more serious note, nice finds. Check those rounds with the wooden HEADS, they might be more live than you think.

Oh, and yes its an ink bottle have dug lots of them too.

DM

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Only the one button keep up matey. DM
    yeah, yeah - personally I much prefer spending hours to find only one button and a couple of training rounds where's the fun in finding sites stuffed full of amazing stuff - far too easy

?

The round nosed wood bulleted drill rounds are "Cartridge SA Dummy Drill Mark III" originally introduced in List of Changes Paragraph 11832 on 29th May 1903.

They were replaced by the Mark IV with a pointed wood bullet in 1910 to match the pointed Mark VII ball round introduced that year, but the pointed bullet proved fragile in service and so the Mark III was reintroduced in 1913 and the Mark IV declared obsolete.

The Mark III served throughout WWI despite the Dummy Drill Mark V and VI with metal covered bullets being introduced in 1917.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

ha ha ha... very true, plus after sitting next to my hole full of buttons did give me very dead legs as I was stuck there for well over and hour!

Another fantastic proper ID from Tony nice one

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast