Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

?

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

It is difficult to read the manufacturers on the headstamps but I think the right hand one is "E 13 VII" and the left hand one "K ? VII". If so they were made by Eley Bros. and Kynoch respectively. They are both Blank Mark V made from reject Mark VII ball cases.

The overstamped Broad Arrows are acceptance marks to show they have been accepted to government service. This was only carried out between about 1907 and 1913.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Interesting Tony.......didn't know that about the overstamp.

Harry - try doing a brass rubbing of the bases. This sometimes helps to see the stamp properly.

Another trip, some more finds. The usual drill/inspection rounds, general service buttons and padlocks, but really pleased that I found this dog tag.

It is in a pretty fragile state. Only one side is visible due to heavy oxidisation and if I try to clean it any further I think it will fall apart. What can be seen is 66955 TAYLOR.

Given where it was found, I would assume it is WW1 and Canadian, but really have no clue about dogtags so any thoughts would be most welcome. I would also like to attempt to research this person, but am not sure what you can do with only the information on the tag, again any ideas guys?

Thanks as always for the advice and info.

cheers
    m

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

?

Hey Harry is that tag aluminium ? I reckon that could be post ww2 issue ? Although I am sure someone will tell me different !!

Quote by jayh View Post
    Hey Harry is that tag aluminium ? I reckon that could be post ww2 issue ? Although I am sure someone will tell me different !!
    Hiya. Yup it is aluminium. I'd be surprised if it was post war as it was found in context with other stuff I know is WW1 vintage, but then again I have been surprised before !

cheers

Ive seen WW1 tags that were aluminum. I have about 6 i my collection.
    I did a little poking around for you dude, and this is what I came up with...
    The cat's regimental number is 166955..you can just make out the 1 at the beginning. These tags were all punched with single punches, and the numbers names etc are never straight.
    That particular cat came from a town about 40 minutes from me here in Canada.

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

Here's the war Diaries of the 2nd Canadian Pioneers...

War Diaries of the First World War

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    Ive seen WW1 tags that were aluminum. I have about 6 i my collection.
    I did a little poking around for you dude, and this is what I came up with...
    The cat's regimental number is 166955..you can just make out the 1 at the beginning. These tags were all punched with single punches, and the numbers names etc are never straight.
    That particular cat came from a town about 40 minutes from me here in Canada.

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada
    That's brilliant - thanks very much . It is great to be able to put some personal detail to a find such as this . The war diaries will be very interesting to see what the guys were up to at this camp.

I was trying to see if there was mention of Taylor...I'm assuming he went by George. There is, in the final pages, reassignment of troops to another Engineer Division..and I didn't read his name. So I am assuming he didn't see the end of the war.
    It's kind of spooky to read when you read it... its all glorious Captain X and wondrous Lieutenant Y did this today...oh, and by the way, 6 other ranks were shot dead this morning...

Oh...I was going to say as well...the Oxford Rifles came from that area. I'm surprised he didn't wind up with them. He must have been highly specialized to wind up in the pioneer battalion...experienced woodsman, handy with an axe felling trees and the like...

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast