Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Hi Harry,
    Some nice finds there, need to find some time to get out and do my own digging.
    The serrated thing to the right if the oil bottle is for cleaning out old tobacco from a pipe bowl, just like my Grandad used.
    Hangarman

Quote by hangarman View Post
    Hi Harry,
    Some nice finds there, need to find some time to get out and do my own digging.
    The serrated thing to the right if the oil bottle is for cleaning out old tobacco from a pipe bowl, just like my Grandad used.
    Hangarman
    Thanks the id Hangarman

Out again for a while today. The previous spot where I had been digging was becoming a bit unproductive so had a scout around and found what looks like another small dump area. I think this is the case generally for camp with lots of small dump sites all around the perimeter.

finds today are yet more training/drill rounds, a cartridge that looks like it has exploded - thrown in a fire maybe - a nice oil bottle complete with the lid and spoon, another Canadian shoulder flash, several buckles and a match holder minus the lid.

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Nice finds again The oil bottle is very nice

first visit of the new year to my WW1 site. A nice maple leaf cap badge, another shoulder tab, a general service button in remarkable condition and a clip and rounds, again the best condition I have found so far, and a couple of buckles and bits of cutlery. There is a massive amount of crockery that has been dumped, almost all of it is broken and unmarked, but did finally find a piece of a plate marked NACB "Navy and Army Catering Board" which dates it quite nicely.

Find the day however, in terms of volume, is another big haul of .303 inspection rounds. Initial count is 420+, again just dumped in a huge pile. The headstamp dates are again 1915/16/17 and are Canadian. Guess they couldn't be bothered to transport them back home I reckon I now have over 1000 inspection rounds from this site now - never thought I'd get fed up with digging them up but what to do with them all 250 are making their way to a Vickers WW1 dated belt but the rest ??

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

?

AMAZING! Harry if you ever want to get rid of a few of them rounds I will gladly take them off you !!! Lovely finds ! Very jealous !!

Fantastic pile of stuff Harry. I need another 80 303s to complete my own 250 round belt. Fancy swopping 80 for something I've got you would like ? (some 20mm, 50cal, .45cal and 9mm carts for instance ?)

Is the cutlery marked by the way ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Fantastic pile of stuff Harry. I need another 80 303s to complete my own 250 round belt. Fancy swopping 80 for something I've got you would like ? (some 20mm, 50cal, .45cal and 9mm carts for instance ?)

Is the cutlery marked by the way ?
    Cheers Steve - sure I can spare 80 .........maybe for a couple of mortar fins????

Only one of the spoons has any markings worth mentioning, which is the one below, made in Canada and dated 1915 and has 3039 stamped into the handle, post manufacture. I assume it will be a military marking but what I have no idea. The pics below are a first use of my new Christmas toy, a USB digital microscope with 400x magnification and image capture....

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

What a fantastic new toy !!!!

A couple of fins ain't enough. How about 5 fins and a nose Fuze ?

My guess would be it belonged to this cat...
    Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

says he signed up in 1915, same date on the spoon...

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast