Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Finding ammo on Normandy Beaches

Article about: hi there, i have recently been to Normandy for a tour of the beaches, on our spare day off we decided to do a bit of beach combing. We stumbled across a section of beach that threw up 30 liv

?

Default Re: Finding ammo on Normandy Beaches

Very interesting.

I so want to go back and visit there again.

tony..i did reply back to your message to say thanks...maybe i didn't send it properly...apols if you never got it...thanks for you reply and info on the pics...very much appreciated

Hi,
    I was over there in 07, at Utah beach, we camped there for a while, we picked up cases from near the bunkers + a relic U.S helmet. i also have sand from all the beaches with no probs.

Dave.
    Last edited by Steve T; 02-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Jan
    ?

I would advice everyone interested in the battlefields of the world wars and beyond to join a community with links to the museum authorities of the country/region concerned. 2013 we are very close to the situation where these sites are and duly should have been historical heritage sites for many years already. The undisturbed battlefield/conflict sites are getting harder to find for each year. I advise every one with an interest of preserving these sites to work in close contact with museum authorities to save the last bits and pieces of our common European history and trauma.

Cheers Jan
    conflict archaeologist

Live ammo can be found everywhere so no wonder also in Normandy. And it is prohibited to own, transport, deactivate such items everywhere in Europe. Unless You have a premission to do it. Some of You may ask: only some old battlefield finds, who cares, I'm not going to shoot somebody. Yes, every normal person will understand that actually picking up some WWII ammo is not a great offence. And it is quite safe to have a 2-3 live rounds in your collections. BUT! Police in every EU state has very different opinion - You are a gun smuggler, terrorist or a criminal! In many countries such activity is a criminal offence. So think about it before picking such things up from the battlefields.

Quote by billers View Post
    Hi, I've a property near Omaha Beach and surface finds are pretty frequent. Stuff is still washed in from the holds of sunk vessels and the tides can reshape the beaches uncovering all sorts of stuff. I always try to be around for Spring tides for that reason. As Steve says though, caution!
    What??
    An English owner on my holly soil???
    Shocking!!
    Joan,come back!

?

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    What??
    An English owner on my holly soil???
    Shocking!!

Joan,come back!

There goes the neighbourhood!

(which coincidentally was the same thing, the Germans said on D-Day!)

?

I was really a bad ass

Finding ammo on Normandy Beaches

And as said dont play around with ammo, even 98K rounds can have explosive bullets
    which you cant see anymore because the markings are gone. Also Phospor can be found in 98K bullets which
    can burn down your car or house , its quite nasty stuff if you have bad luck

And bang goes my knighthood as Neil Hannon says...
    Seriously,the British owner are doin' a wonderful job preserving the architecture heritage there.

Oh Seb.....but we're all European now! Love my French neighbours too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast