Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.

Article about: A friend of mine owns a large farm in the area of Gavray in Normandie. He was always telling me that the farm was used by the SS during the retreat. Whilst there he says they had field guns

Default Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.

A friend of mine owns a large farm in the area of Gavray in Normandie. He was always telling me that the farm was used by the SS during the retreat. Whilst there he says they had field guns lined up under the trees on his drive which were firing on the advancing American troops. I never questioned him further as he is not really interested, but when I recently went to stay at the farm for a few days I had planned ahead and bought myself a metal detector. Not really expecting to find anything of significance I got up really early the first morning and started on the bottom left hand side of the drive. There was only me and a very large hare just off to one side of me. Within 30 seconds and my first time of using the detector I had a squeel out of the machine. The hare dissapeared into the distance and i started to dig... I had found a live rifle round. So I was on the right track. Needless to say I found more rounds, a K.98 bayonetfrog , some zz.35's, electric detonation cord as well as some dodgy looking explosive material and a wooden case still containing a number of German detonators. More pleasing was the unearthing of nose fuses for German shell's and also the lid's from German shell tubes which indeed proved that my friends info was totally correct. Up at the end of his drive I also unearthed apair of 50.cal cases dated 1944 on either side of the drive. All in all a fantastic few days was had much to my wifes annoyance as every morning I was no where to be found around the house but they soon worked out where I was. Knowing I had to come back to Jersey via French customs I picked a few of the nicer pieces and hid them in the car. Luckily there was no problem on the way home. my friend though had to get his JCB out and go dig a deep hole to bury all what I had found and left behind. Hope you like the pictures.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.   Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.  

Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.   Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.  

Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.   Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.  

Default Re: Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.

WoW look at all those shells. I just had a 3 day dig in Normandy and all three of us didn't even find more than 20 shells put together!!!

Nice haul. Those fuses are really badly eaten away, shame really

but good hunting

Mouse

Nice collection of finds. Well done and thanks for posting.

All the visible ammo in pictures 2,4,6 and 7 are Brittish .303 rounds.
    Did you find them in the same area?

Cheers,
    Steven

Hi Steven,
    I guess the look British, but they are in fact French rounds which had a sprinkling of german stuff amongst it. I reckon I dug up a whole crate as some was in packets and clips and all in the same hole so to speak.
    D.

That would make them 8mm Lebel rounds?
    I've heard about the german army useing the MAS 36, probably they must have also used the Lebel- or Berthier carabine.
    I never found them in Normandie, your MD must have gone nuts when you hit that spot.
    Nice finds, love the detonator box.

Cheers,
    Steven

Hi Steven,
    Yes, my machine nearly blew up I must admit. I didn't actually get to finish the whole drive, I still have the right handside to detect...I can't wait till next time.
    D.

you found some amazing things D
    steven heres a picture of a german with a mas36 i shall see if i can find them using a bertier too

tom

here ya go Finds from the Gavray area of Normandie.
    once again brilliant finds thanks for sharing i wonder what you'll find next time

tom

Lebels ? WOW ! Great find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast