Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Finds from Southern Estonia

Article about: I'm a new member here but ave collected WWII militaria for over 20 years now. There are some pictures from my last trip. Of course I did not brought them home. First: German M39 grenade, Sec

Default Finds from Southern Estonia

I'm a new member here but ave collected WWII militaria for over 20 years now. There are some pictures from my last trip. Of course I did not brought them home. First: German M39 grenade, Second: 2 Russian F1 grenades, Third: Russian mortair bomb.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from Southern Estonia   Finds from Southern Estonia  

Finds from Southern Estonia   Finds from Southern Estonia  

Finds from Southern Estonia  

?

Default Re: Finds from Southern Estonia

Hello Frundsberg and welcome , where are you from in Estonia ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

hi. welcome , thanks for posting. vary interesting finds and a very wise approach in leaving them where they are . how would you usually deal with finds like these ? glad thay aint in my backgarden!! cheers paul

I live in Tallinn but as Estonia is such a small country it is not a problem to visit also old battlefields near Narwa or in the south. Usally when I will find things like bombs and grenades I will make a call to authorities who will send out deactivation team then. But there are a lot of people who just do nothing or even worse - try to "deactivate" such items at home or in the forest.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    I live in Tallinn but as Estonia is such a small country it is not a problem to visit also old battlefields near Narwa or in the south. Usally when I will find things like bombs and grenades I will make a call to authorities who will send out deactivation team then. But there are a lot of people who just do nothing or even worse - try to "deactivate" such items at home or in the forest.
    Deactivating yourself is certainly not to be recomended I have never been to the Southern Battlefields around Tartu but it looks like much still remains in the forests ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

These items were found near Latvian border (like 100 meters from the border), not from the battlefields ariund Tartu and the Emajõgi River (deffence line Walk). We just talked to the local people and they told us that we were at first in the wrong place. But "good place" is around 5 km. away. And it really was a nice place - totally untouched.

Most of the well known places in Estonia are pretty empty now - Narwa area, Ösel and Deffence Line Walk. But there are still very many interesting places to discover. Even if You no not find something special You spent at least good time in open air.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    These items were found near Latvian border (like 100 meters from the border), not from the battlefields ariund Tartu and the Emajõgi River (deffence line Walk). We just talked to the local people and they told us that we were at first in the wrong place. But "good place" is around 5 km. away. And it really was a nice place - totally untouched.

Most of the well known places in Estonia are pretty empty now - Narwa area, Ösel and Deffence Line Walk. But there are still very many interesting places to discover. Even if You no not find something special You spent at least good time in open air.
    Your right things can still be found and i do love being out in the Estonian Forests

1st July 1916